Candlelit Dinner

Original prompt: Candle

They were one of the few fortunate couples to start their relationship with a lot of romance. Cordelia had felt some attraction to Stahl during the war, but it had not grown into a feeling that she was prepared to call love until the fighting had ended. They'd started courting when the halidom was at peace, and unlike Chrom and Robin, they'd had few duties that got in the way of their relationship. Every Shepherd was working hard, of course, but the heaviest burdens fell to their new ruler and his bride-to-be. That was just the way things were.

Cordelia and Stahl often managed to get together during the evening, whether it was in the castle grounds or a tavern, and she savoured how lucky they were. Tonight they were camping with a few other members of Chrom's militia, but Stahl had remembered that it was their one month anniversary and invited her to dine with him anyway. They'd both cooked the meal, because Cordelia wouldn't hear otherwise, and then Stahl had constructed a makeshift table out of an old crate.

Now he was adding the finishing touch: the candle they'd used to guide them to the edge of camp. It didn't look like much, but to Cordelia it was worth more than going somewhere fancy. The effort that Stahl had put in, despite the fact that they were in the middle of nowhere, meant everything.

The light of the candle didn't allow her to see any further than his face, but that was all she needed. Once upon a time she'd loved a prince, but now she had a knight instead. And she loved him much more.

She caught him by the front of his shirt once he'd set the candle down. Then she met him in the centre of the table, lips against lips, careful not to let her hair fall in the flame.

They kissed in the candlelight until all their oxygen was sucked away, united in the promise of loving each other for who they really were inside, and not the person who the world's expectations sometimes made them be.