Shadows

Original prompt: Shadows

There are two types of nightmares.

Those that are about what you have lost. And those that are about what is to come.

Mine were usually the latter, of course. But I wasn't the only one who suffered from bad dreams.

Sometimes, in that blissful two year period of peace, it would be Chrom waking up first in the middle of the night. It would be Chrom who opened his eyes and carried on seeing what wasn't real. It would be Chrom who stared into the shadows of our room, searching for the movements of hidden monsters.

It would be me who assured him that everything was all right. It would be me who held him closer, smoothed his hair, and waited for him to close his eyes. It would be me who tried to smother his pain.

What always amazed me on those nights was how quickly he could fall asleep again. No dizziness. No nausea. No headaches. No sense of foreboding.

Because in those years, he only ever feared for what was lost. He dreamed about his mistakes, his regrets, and the past. He thought more of Emmeryn's death than of losing his own skin. He would often shout her name as he woke us.

So there are two types of people.

Those who fear what is lost. And those who fear what is to come.