Loose Floor Tile

Original prompt: Loose Floor Tile

Sometimes, when Sumia fell over, it was incredibly unexpected. The Shepherds would roll their eyes or shake their heads. They would mutter to one another under their breaths, "How did she manage to trip over that?"

But sometimes, Chrom felt that he should have known it was coming. He'd been meaning to have someone sort out the loose floor tile in the Great Hall for about a month, but it had always slipped his mind. At least Sumia was unlikely to forget now.

Chrom, Robin, and their retainers had been walking out of the Great Hall when it had happened, having just finished a particularly tedious meeting. Chrom was trying to think of a good way to throw Frederick from his tail so that he could have a few minutes alone with his wife. They'd had an especially busy start to the day, and he'd barely had time to hold Robin's hair back during her morning sickness before he'd been forced to leave their room. They hadn't even eaten breakfast together.

On top of that, Frederick's only duties of the day were to act as Chrom's guard. Chrom was begging Naga to make one of the Shepherds suddenly lose their mind and request to be personally trained by the great knight. One could just ask Sumia to stop guarding Robin, and she would grin at the thought of romance and leave the prince and princess alone. But Frederick would rather play gooseberry than give up his duties.

Perhaps Naga heard Chrom's prayers and took pity on him, for help arrived, although it was in a different form to what he'd had in mind.

There was a sudden squeak of surprise, and Chrom looked to his left. Sumia was sprawled on the floor. Frederick was already crouching by her – at this point, he probably had an alarm in his head that rang as soon as his wife lost balance – looking worried. Sumia could fall over one time in a day or six, and Frederick would always treat her just as tenderly.

The pegasus knight pushed herself onto her knees, her face bright red as she assured her husband that she wasn't too broken. Frederick glared at Chrom.

He grimaced. He was going to receive a lecture about the loose floor tile later.

For now, he glanced at Robin, then inclined his head towards the door. "I think Sumia's all right. Shall we make our escape?"

Robin seized her best friend up for herself before she nodded and took Chrom's hand. They raced towards the doors while Frederick and Sumia were still occupied.

Chrom almost tripped on another loose tile along the way. Robin managed to steady him, and then she laughed.

He shot her a playful glare, but it quickly morphed into a smile. Just five minutes alone with her would make his day better.

And then he was going to do something about those damn floor tiles.