Wilted Rose

Original prompt: Wilted Rose

Frederick wasn't always very good at dates.

He was no womaniser. Sumia was the first real distraction that he'd ever had. All his life, he'd been focused on becoming a soldier, a knight, and then a royal guard. Nothing had ever diverted his attention from his duties. He'd had relationships, but only with people who were just as focused on their work as him. He'd never had a proper slice of romance until he met Sumia.

Suddenly, he wanted everything to be perfect. If they had arranged a date, he would spend all day thinking about it. He would wonder how to get ready, what to do when he was with her, and if he should bring her a gift. Unfortunately, he often went overboard with the preparation, as was a bad habit of his when he was doing – well, anything.

Getting her a rose this morning in preparation for this evening had been a mistake, that was for certain. He hadn't had the chance to put it in water as he'd been following his lord and lady around all day, and its head was sagging now, all the colour leeched out by death. It was far from the beautiful, romantic gesture that it was supposed to be. It was a disaster.

And Sumia was approaching him, giving him no time to dispose of her ruined gift. He shoved it behind his back hastily, resuming his usual at ease stance as he clenched the flower between his fists. Sumia often worried about all the mistakes she made, but he didn't think that she'd ever performed a romantic blunder like this.

"Hello!" she said cheerily as she came to a halt in front of him. For a moment, he was lost in her, watching the way her butterscotch brown hair resettled itself over her shoulders. "What are you hiding behind your back?"

Blood rushed to his cheeks. "Nothing."

"I saw you looking at something before I reached you. What was it?"

"I promise, Sumia, it's nothing."

"You're very bad at promising," she teased, leaning around him. He shifted, keeping his torso in her line of sight. She sighed and straightened up again. "If it's nothing, why won't you let me see? Show me your hands."

Frederick could make his enemies cower with a single look and spear them in a heartbeat, but all he could do now was stand still as his face reddened even further. His feelings were paralysing him. All he had to do was firmly tell her to stop prying –

"Fine," he sighed, bringing his hands forwards again. "It was meant to be for you, but it wilted." He lowered his head in shame. "My apologies."

"I don't see why you should feel bad." Sumia took the rose from him with a smile. "I'm touched that you tried to get me anything. I'm going to press it and keep it forever." She hugged it to her chest. "Thank you."

Frederick smiled hopefully as he watched her delight.

She made him walk with her to the garrison so that she could put it in her room, and then they went out as they had planned. In no time at all, he'd forgotten about his embarrassment.

A week later when they met for a date again, he noticed that she was wearing a pretty necklace. A compliment was already out of his mouth before he realised what was inside.

It was the rose, pressed and now within the pendant, which Sumia was wearing with pride.

She kept it for her entire life, just as she had promised.