Restless

Brendon couldn't sleep. He didn't have to turn over and look at the clock to know it was an unholy hour of the day. Somewhere between one in the morning and four maybe. He wasn't sure though. His lack of sleep could be messing with his concept of time. It probably was.

Ryan had gone to sleep hours ago. His soft breaths were washing over Brendon's eyelids. He resisted the urge to bury his face in the taller man's neck. Ryan had his limits and Brendon wasn't sure where they were yet. He could push his luck and toe where he felt the line was, but he didn't want to be kicked out of the bed. He didn't want to sleep alone.

Ryan's consistent breathing pattern stalled. Brendon's eyes snapped open to see what changed. His eyes saw nothing but black as they struggled to adjust to the dark setting. And even when they did adjust, he couldn't see more than a few inches in front of his own nose. Which meant he could barely see Ryan's nose.

Pity. Ryan had a cute nose.

But it was okay because Ryan was breathing normally again. Brendon's let his eyelids slide down. He refocused on Ryan's breaths. Trying to match them with his own. Trying to think about nothing else in the meantime. The childish exercise was beginning to work. He could feel his body getting heavier as he drifted off into the dreamland he'd been trying to reach for hours.

His roommate shifted beside him. Ruffling him from the rest he desperately needed. The man groaned in discomfort. He continued to shift into different positions. Mushing and bumping into Brendon in the process. This was new. Ryan was usually a steady sleeper. Maybe he was having a nightmare. He was about to shake the restless man awake when Ryan's leg draped over his waist.

Brendon stopped breathing. His body temporarily paralyzed in shock. He waited for Ryan to move again. To stretch until he was repositioned. But it didn't happen. The man sighed in contempt and was back to his peaceful sleeping.

That was all well and good. The only problem was now Brendon was uncomfortable. The extra weight was making his hip push into the mattress. One of the downfalls of sleeping on his side. He was happy Ryan was satisfied but he definitely couldn't sleep like this.

"Ryan." He whispered. He stirred but didn't wake. "Ryan." This time a little louder.

When that didn't produce the desired result, Brendon tried to move his leg. It was heavier than he thought it would be. The vain attempt only caused his drowsy roommate to shift more. Pushing their middles unnervingly close.

He tried not to concentrate on Ryan more private parts pressing against his thigh. Tried to direct his thoughts away from the shape and feel of him. And he would have succeeded, if Ryan hadn't moved again.

His chest lifted and feel slowly but harshly. He should move. He needed to move. But he couldn't. Instead he laid there in an almost out of body state. Feeling Ryan growing with every move he made. When Brendon's own boxers started to have less moving room, he pushed the man completely off. Ashamed of his lack of self control.

"Brendon." Ryan's voice was heavy with sleep. "What the- why did you hit me?"

"Sorry. I didn't mean to."

"Why are you even awake? What time is it?"

He used Brendon's shoulder to lift himself up and look at the time. Making it so that he was too close again. A small gasp escaped his lips when he finally realized the excited state his body was still in. Frantically, he scurried back from him. Moving himself as far away as the bed would allow.

"I-I didn't do anything." Brendon desperately tried to explain. He didn't want him to think he'd been raping him in his sleep or something.

"I-I know. We're men. It just happens sometimes." He sat up, wrapping the blankets around himself. Stealing them from Brendon without really thinking about it. "Right?"

"Right." He quickly agreed.

"Right." There was a moment of awkward silence before, "Maybe you should get to your own bed."

"Please no." Said even faster.

"Brendon-"

He sat up now too. "We'll just keep our distance-"

"I don't think that's a good idea." He shook his head. "Just for tonight, we can sleep separately."

"I hate sleeping alone." He knew he must sound pathetic. But whatever works.

"Brendon-" He was surprised by the sympathy in Ryan's voice. He expected annoyance. "I don't think we should."

"Just don't think about it." Brendon reached over to push Ryan back down onto the bed.

"Are you sure?"

"Just pretend it's like any other night." He laid back down too. "And go to sleep."

Ryan didn't verbally disagree. And he didn't get up again. Brendon relaxed. Snuggling into his pillow. Hoping it gave him the warmth he was missing from the blanket Ryan was longer sharing.

"Brendon?" Ryan spoke so lightly, he could have sworn he imagined it.

"Yeah?"

"What if I don't want to go to sleep?"

The intent was clear without him having to actually say it. But, just for confirmation, Brendon had to ask, "What do you want to do?"

"You." He sounded unsure. It made Brendon feel better about his own nervousness.

"Please do."

Ryan's hand pressed against the back of his head before the two words were completely out. Brendon moaned as soon as they connected. Ryan swallowed the moan into his own mouth. His tongue tasting the urgency of his. Brendon felt himself melting with the touch. Clearly Ryan was in control of this battle of the lips.

Brendon wanted to be in charge. He wanted to make Ryan feel as weak as he did. So he slid his hands in the tight space between them. Managing to slither them into the waistband of his boxers. He fought against the elastic as his searching fingers met their target.

His forefinger traced the base of him. Ryan's tongue pushed deeper into his mouth. Urging him to continue. But Brendon wasn't in the mood to be rushed. He didn't realize how long he was waiting for this moment until it was in front of him. He wanted to touch every bit of him. Commit it to memory. He didn't need to see him to know he was a work of art. One that didn't seem to have an end. He excitement became dark with every inch that passed.

His hand enclosed just under the head. A simple tug had Ryan pulling away. Grasping for air. Brendon pulled harder this time. His eyes filling with joy at the sight of Ryan's face. His roommate groaned in frustration. Hitting their foreheads together. Brendon damn near jumped out of his skin when Ryan's hand covered his own.

"Baby, don't be so goddamn gentle."