Chapter 26

It was decided. After Beau and Daniel finished up school, we were all going to move to LA. Of course, Janes, Luke, and I were going to have to drop out of school for that, but we felt like it was the right decisoon to make. We were furthering our careers by doing this.

Mum, of course, was not happy with our decision. Not only were we leaving her to move to another country, but we were becoming 'high school drop-outs'. In fact, she had a thing or two to say to Beau for even suggesting it.

How did I feel?

I felt like this would be good for me in general. I was so depressed all of the time and I hated it. I needed to just get away from it all for awhile, and moving to America was the perfect opportunity to do that.

Luke was hesitant. He wasn't sure if this was really right for us. The only reason that he was really going was because I wanted him to. I don't think either of us could stand being that far away from the other for such a long period of time.

Honestly, I felt guilty. I was basically forcing this on Luke and that wasn't fair to him. I needed this, though. If I didn't make a change soon then I didn't know what I'd end up doing.

///

"Why hello, my sons who don't love me." Mum greeted us grumpiky as she fried us some pancakes for breakfast. I had to roll my eyes at her antics. She was still trying to guilt us into staying in Melbourne, but it just wasn't happening. Luke and I were turning 17 soon and Beau was 18. We were basically adults that could make decisions on our own. It didn't matter that our mother didn't agree with it.

"Will you give it a break, Mum?" Luke groaned in annoyance. "This is hard for us, too!"

"If it's so hard then stay!" She argued, pouting slightly.

"Mum, this is a great opportunity that not a lot of people get. Just let it happen." Beau sighed, walking into the room. Mum's frown wavered slightly before a small grin made its way into her face.

"Okay. But I still don't like my boys leaving me." She sighed, making her way over to Beau to kiss his cheek.

"Love you!" Beau smiled before leaving the room to finish getting ready for school.

I played with my plate of pancakes aimlessly as their interaction took place. I hated that we were leaving her, but at the same time I was thankful. Our relationship has been nothing but strained the past few months and it was definitely taking its toll on me.

"You okay?" Luke whispered to me from across the table. I nodded my head in response even though I honestly wasn't. I felt awful. It was my fault that Mum was upset. It was my fault that Luke was unwillingly moving to a completely different country. Everything was my fault and I hated myself for it. I gave him a small nod which didn't go unnoticed by Mum.

"Why wouldn't your brother be okay, Luke?" She questioned with a laugh, causing the pit in my stomach to get even deeper. I hated how no one ever thought that maybe I wasn't okay. It was always clear as day when someone else was struggling, but then when I was, no one noticed. My feelings didn't matter to anyone but myself.

"Well, maybe he's not actually okay!" Luke piped up, surprising me. I shot him a glare, warning him to keep his mouth shut, but he quickly looked away and refused to make eye contact with me. Our mother scrunched up her face in confusion.

"Of course he is, Luke. Don't be silly." She laughed, causing me to dig my nails into the scar-ridden flesh of my arm.

"You know what?" Luke laughed. "You're absolutely right! Jai should just get over himself, right? He should just get over being-"

"Luke!" I snapped in horror, not ready to believe what my twin had almost just revealed to my Mum right in front of me. That was the last thing I wanted her to find out.

"Don't talk to your Mum like that!" Mum said, smacking the back of Luke's head. "You two are hiding something, and you had better tell me what that is right now!"

"It's nothing, Mum." I sighed. "Luke's just being his usual self."

"Okay." Luke scoffed, standing up and storming out the door.

"I'm sorry, Mum. Luke's just being difficult."

"Mhmm. So what did you do this time to make him mad?" She laughed, causing me to frown.

"Why do I have to do something?" Ii grimaced. "Is that really how low you think of me?"

"Jai, I-"

"Just save it, Mum. I'm going to enjoy getting away from you."