Chapter 12

To say I was nervous when I walked into English class was an understatement. I didn't really want to face Luke, knowing that Dylan had potentially said something to cause the rift between us to grow even deeper. I had to, though. If it wasn't now, then it would be later. In a place that he was more likely to hit me at. After all, we did share a room.

"Hey Luke!" I greeted with fake enthusiasm as I sat down next to him. I could barely see him move, but he quickly gave me a stiff nod in return.

"Jai." Luke greeted, only because he had to.

"Luke, I just want you to know that I'm sorry about this morning. I shouldn't have pushed you away or said any of those cruel things I said." I apologized, trying to make him forgive me. "I love you, Luke. Just know that. No matter what happens or what anyone says."

"Oh yeah, well what about trust?" Luke countered. "Can you honestly say any of that if you can't even trust me enough to tell me what's wrong with you? You're different, Jai. So, different. I don't even know what to do anymore."

"I was a jerk to James and I've been feeling extremely guilty, but we made up today so it's all good!" I replied enthusiastically, smiling brightly at my twin brother. "I'm sorry I've been so distant Luke. I really am. I promise to tell you everything from now on!"

"Oh come on, Jai!" Luke yelled. "I'm your twin brother! You know I can tell when you lie to me. What's really going on?"

I hesitated for a minute. I had two options. I could either break down and tell Luke everything or I could save him the embarrassment of having such a pathetic twin brother. It was a hard choice to make, honestly. I used to tell Luke everything, but now I could only feed him lies. Lies that he chose to believe half the time. Lied that not even he could see through.

"I don't really know, to be honest." I admitted to him. His glare softened a tiny bit before he sighed and turned away from me. He was frustrated, that was obvious. I had bigger problems, though. I still didn't know what Dylan had told him, and I have a feeling that it wasn't anything good.

"You really expect me to believe that?" Luke asked in disbelief. "I guess He was right."

"Who was right?" I questioned. Luke just shrugged his shoulders in response.

"If you don't trust me, I don't trust you. It's that simple." Luke replied nonchalantly. I couldn't believe my ears at that. I was losing my twin and there was nothing that I could do to stop it.

I felt a single tear slip down my face, but luckily Luke never saw it. I had already been too vulnetable in front of him for one day. I didn't need to break down in front of him again.

"Jai, are you feeling better now?" James asked me, taking a seat on my other side. I cringed internally at his question. It had captured Luke's attention and I really didn't need him worrying any more than he already was about me. I could take care of myself, but no one seemed to be able to understand that.

"I'm fine, James." I promised, shooting my best friend a small smile.

"Of course he's fine!" Luke piped up angrily, "Jai is always fine. Nothing ever bothers him. I wish we could all be as carefree as Jai is!"

"Ooohkaaaay, who activated extra-savage Luke-more because your sassiness is on pointe today?" James asked with a small chuckle. Luke rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Well maybe there's a bit of trouble in twinland. It tends to be activated whenever that happens." Luke looked at me pointedly as he said that. I flinched slightly in response. He was angry. That was extremely obvious, but what wasn't obvious was how I was going to fix this mess. Because from where I was standing, it seemed like everything was pointless.

-
I stormed into my house alone. Luke had opted to walk home with his friends instead of with me. Honestly, I couldn't say that I didn't see that coming. After that huge fight we had earlier today, I would have wanted to avoid me too.

Lately, no matter how hard I tried, it seemed like I was always letting someone down. Whether it was Beau, my Mum, Luke, or even James, it was always someone and I was really started to hate myself for it. I was nothing but a disappointment and my friends and family deserved better.

"Jye!" I heard a screechy voice from the couch scream in excitement. I glanced over to the couch and was surprised to see Daniel lounging on it with his phone.

"Skip?" I was genuinely surprised. Beau wasn't home, and neither was Luke. He only ever came over when at least one of the two was going to be here. Never when it was just me.

"Sorry, Mate. Didn't meant to scare you." Daniel apologized with a laugh. "I was just waiting for Luke or Beau to get here."

"No worries. I completely understand. Trust me." I reassured him. I watched as his eyebrows knitted up in confusion and he shot me a strange glance.

"What's that supposed to mean, Jai?" Daniel asked slowly, and it was then that I realized my mistake. I needed to be happy-go-lucky, but I had been the exact opposite lately. I had been rude, cruel, and depressing. Not only that, but I had taken out my anger on the people around me. What kind of friend was I? Or brother? Or even son? I was just torturing the people I cared about and I needed to stop.

"Nothing, Daniel. I'm just in my own little world. Anyway, Luke should be home any minute."