Chapter Thirty Two

FIVE CHAPTERS LEFT how crazy. I'm going to try updating daily. Last night's chapter was for today so this chapter is for tomorrow. I'm posting early because I have work and I'll be driving home after so no time to write. I'm going to be going back to old chapters and dedicating them to readers!

Chapter Thirty Two

I could understand why Prince Gordon had chosen Spirit. The two were alike in many ways.

I was sitting in the pasture with Spirit, who laid beside me, munching on the grass. My fingers were running through his mane, which he seemed to enjoy, or at least not mind, as he did not push me away or act unusually.

I had not seen Prince Gordon since we arrived at the palace. He'd attempted many times to try talking to me and comforting me on the ride back but I had ignored him, running off the moment we made it to his palace. He'd ran after me, knocking on my door. But I'd snapped at him to leave me be and he had listened, disappearing. I'd regretted everything about that night, wishing I had not snapped or ignored him when he was simply worried for me.

So, I'd decided to visit Spirit before I found Prince Gordon and apologized for my behavior and explained that I had simply been upset. It was not right of me to take it out on him nor was it right if I did not provide him with an explanation of sorts. He was only kind to me while I was the opposite.

I was talking to Spirit, telling him of my visits to each palace and how they differed from one another while still holding similarities. He looked at me with his ever-patient eyes, not once interrupting or losing attention in my stories. Spirit had the same patience as his owner, as vast as the ocean had been and as unrelenting as its waves.

They were both kind as well. Spirit was kind in the way that he did not interrupt me when I spoke and allowed me close enough to lean comfortably on him, despite the fact that I was not human. He was kind in the way that he now walked up to me when I came by, desiring affection from me which I happily gave.

Prince Gordon was kind in the way that he was always there for me, whether I asked for it or did not. He was always present, a silent support that I did not realize how much I had needed. He was kind in the way that he cared for me unconditionally and as unwaveringly as the stars and the moon.

"Perhaps once I have apologized to Prince Gordon we can all go on a picnic. Wouldn't that be nice, hobune?" I asked, running my hand along his coat. He nickered softly in response before his ears perked and he looked up, glancing towards the distance. I did the same, stiffening.

"Get up!"

"Stand up!"

"Don't fucking shift!"

Enforcers were swarming towards me, dozens all yelling at me. Spirit whined, standing along me, feeling my fear. I whispered soft words to him, hoping to comfort the both of us at the same time.

A few escorted Spirit away before others roughly grabbed at me, still snapping at me and one another. I could feel someone throwing a chain around my neck, threatening me while another tightly clasped my hands behind my back, securing them there.

I fell quiet, my voice disappearing just as it had the day my village was attacked. That was the last time I had felt so afraid that fear ripped my vocal chords from my throat, throwing them into the ashes. Today, he'd done the same, leaving them behind in the pasture with Spirit.

I wanted to cry, to ask what was happening and where we were going but I knew I would receive no answer for each question even if I gathered the courage to ask. So I stayed quiet, allowing me to drag with them, stumbling occasionally. They did not care or hesitate, still rushing forward.