Chapter Five

So this is a message for those asking when you're going to see Snowflake and Kendall. Try to be patient and remember that this isn't their story. This is Cayne, Kai, and Ivy's story. You will see them, but not soon, okay? My focus is to develop my new characters, not existing ones. I know you miss them almost as much as I do, but if I include them now, you'll demand more and I'll include them again and again and again until they become the focus of the story, not the others. So enjoy these characters because before you know it, you'll miss them too :) 

A female leopard is a leopardess.

Chapter Five

Prince Gordon went over to his chair and we stood there, unsure. However, the Prince was quick to fix that.

"Sit, please," he said, motioning towards one of the two elegant chairs in front of him. I glanced back at Kai, but his eyes were solely on the Prince.

I went towards the chair and sat down, smoothing the soft fabric of my dress after I did so. The chair was surprisingly comfortable, much more comfortable than it looked.

Kai's response didn't surprise me. "I'll stand," he said shortly, standing directly behind my chair, a hand resting on my shoulder. He was an overprotective lumeleopard, something that would not change, even if he no longer had a leap.

"Whichever you prefer. It is a pleasure to officially meet you, Kai," Prince Gordon said, offering his hand. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time, suddenly feeling homesick.

In the village, our leap used to joke about handshakes. To humans, they were a sign of respect and a discrete test of dominance. They were friendly and welcoming. To us, they were only a clear sign of disrespect.

Handshakes were the least intimate form of contact. A standard greeting, stranger or not, involved much more. You had to pull them in for a close hug, lasting longer than a second. A kiss on the cheek was also required. Our leap also ran our noses along one another to show the mutual affection and trust.

Kai hesitated but went over to shake his hand, their eyes locking as they did so. I watched as Kai tested the Prince, his grip growing more and more constricting with each second. I thought perhaps he would finally let go when it was becoming obvious, but he didn't.

"Kai!" I snapped and his eyes flickered as he registered what he was doing before he let go, walking over to stand behind me once again.

The Prince had remained calm the whole time, although I knew Kai's grip must've caused him pain. Even now he didn't say anything, just watched Kai, his eyes cold.

"I'm sorry, Prince Gordon. Allow me to show you a leap remedy that does wonders for the cubs," I tried, walking over to him, shooting Kai a glare along the way.

"Allow me," I said with a smile, holding out my hand for his. I waited for him to take back his word and have us punished or killed. But my fears eased when his large hand overlapped mine.

"The leap cubs would cry their hearts out and a leopardess would run to their rescue, demanding to know what was wrong. They would tell us through their little tears and we would kiss their wounds, telling them that love and affection could heal anything. Their tears would instantly dry up before they ran off, filled with laughter," I explained, a faint smile on my face at the memories.

I then pressed my lips lightly on his hand and teased, "Are you all better, my jumbu?"

"Much better," he said quietly, his smile gone. His green eyes were still on me, however, staring intently.