Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Alone in the carriage, I was able to admire him from much closer. It was stunning to me that a human could look so beautiful that they barely looked, well, human.

I'd heard about a Gordon brother, but I'd never realized there was more than one. The one I'd heard about involved a female Protector, and they were intimate with one another, starting riots among the humans. That Gordon certainly wasn't this one.

For one, I hadn't seen a Protector in sight, which I found odd. I knew the creation of them was the consequence the werewolves received for playing a part in the war. So why did a Prince not have one?

"Where is your Protector?" I asked, watching as he turned his green eyes from the window to me.

"He has been dead for quite some time," he replied easily and I bowed my head out of respect.

"I'm sorry. I didn't-"

"It is fine, dear," he started before saying, "His name was Steel. He was the first Protector, and the first voluntary one. He was treated like family. When he passed, I realized Protectors were no longer treated with that respect. Instead of being questioning or frowned upon for the way I was treating my Protector, I decided it was best to be unprotected."

"Do they not question you for living without one?" I asked, watching a faint smile appear on his face.

"Of course they do. However, it is not as big of an issue because I did have one for a long time. I also have more guards than the average Prince," he answered.

I was grateful I grew up in the simplistic village and not the vast palace. I couldn't imagine being able to keep up with the complex set of rules they had. It was amazing that he could.

"Why did you invite me?" I asked, seeing his eyes flicker before he began studying me.

"You looked as if you needed some time outside the palace walls," he explained and I nodded, looking out the window.

"Thank you," I said softly, knowing the words would never show how grateful I truly was.

"Do not thank me. We all need time away from our loved ones. Why do you think my parents do not live with myself or my brothers?" He asked, lightening the mood and I laughed.

"Is it true that a Protector is the reason why palaces around the world are freeing their wolves?" I asked, the rumor still amazing me. One day, Kai and I would create such an impact.

Prince Gordon smiled, laughing briefly at the question. "That is certainly true. You will now find that a palace with wolves for its guards is frowned upon, all because of her."

"Do you think Kai and I will do something half as wonderful?" I asked, wondering whether he thought we were a lost cause.

"I would not invest my time into the both of you if I thought otherwise," he said after a moment, adding, "You are almost ready. Kai, on the other hand, needs to learn which battles to fight, and which to give in."

I looked away, knowing that wasn't going to happen. "Kai was the leader of our leap. It's in his blood to fight. I'll try talking to him," I told Prince Gordon, reluctantly adding the last part.

I knew Kai's words had been heated by our situation and without thought, but they still snapped at me. They weren't something Kai would be able to place in a box and make me forget.

I still had to talk to him, despite that. If I didn't, we would never get anywhere. Kai and I would clash like opposites and he would continue to snap at me. I didn't know how long I would last if that happened.