Broken

Jade was overwhelmed with guilt. She just lost control of herself when Tori was gone. "Trina," she whispered.

"I know," she replied. She put her hand over Jade's, "We won't do it again, it was a mistake. I know you love her."

     Jade softly smiled, trying to hold back tears.

     "Well! What are you doing? Go after her, you idiot," Trina scolded.

Jade chuckled and got up. She got dressed and was about to head out the door before she turned around to Trina, "Don't think I didn't have a good time, Trina. Because I did."

     Trina smiled, "Go."

     Jade sighed and closed the door, snapping her leather jacket on despite the ninety-something degree weather. She figured Tori was going home so she was going to start there.

     The difficult part was figuring out an apology elaborate enough to get Tori to forgive her. She needed Tori. . . she just didn't know if Tori needed her.

     She got in her car and ignited the engine. Her stomach was a mosh pit of fear, guilt, anger, anxiety. Anything and everything between, Jade was feeling all in that moment.

     She was soon merging onto the highway and was immediately greeted with a very long line of standstill traffic.

     "Oh, great," Jade sighed. She slammed her hands into the steering wheel, "just fucking great!"

     She groaned as she parked her car. Odds are that she'd be here for awhile.

     "The fuck is going on anyways," she asked herself. That motivated her to turn on the radio. She listened to a few commercials and was elated when she heard a man's voice speaking about traffic. She turned up the volume,

     "This is Frank and Heidi with 95.5 KLOS with your traffic update! Steer clear of Santa Monica Freeway, as there has sadly been a fatal accident putting traffic at a complete standstill."

     "Yes, Frank," replied a sympathetic female voice, "very sad news indeed. This was a two-vehicle, head-on collision. The driver who initiated the accident was unfortunately driving under the influence, and flipped right across the barrier and into the victim's car. The intoxicated operator of the vehicle was forty-seven year old Will Bopkins. We cannot release the name of the victim at this time, as there has not been confirmation by the relatives."

     Jade's heart skipped a beat as she heard that but quickly shook it off. It couldn't be Tori.

     Could it?

     To ease her nerves, she dialed Tori's number in her phone but quickly shoved away that idea. She wouldn't answer anyways. She bit her lip and thought to call the next best thing: her mom.

     She dialed Tori's Mom's number and it rang twice before she answered. "Hello," she asked, her voice trembling.

     "Hey, Mrs. Vega. It's-"

     "I know," she interrupted.

Jade furrowed her eyebrows and cleared her throat, "So, hey. Has Tori come home yet?"

The phone clicked and the line beeped. She looked at her phone: call ended.

That wasn't a good sign.

The theme song of the radio show played and this time it was Heidi.

"We've got the latest update on the accident clogging up the Santa Monica Freeway," she cleared her throat, "the victim of this accident was seventeen year-old Victoria Vega. She attended Hollywood Arts-"

Jade couldn't hear anything after that. Her heart stopped, her breathing hitched in her chest, her ears were ringing. Her entire world stopped spinning when she heard Tori's name. She was suddenly gasping for air and scrambled out of her car.

She fell out onto the hot road and started running. Horns were honking at her, guys whistling, people cussing at her, and the sun was blaring it's heat and she gave zero fucks. She could give zero fucks with what was going on in the outside world because as far as she was concerned, her whole world was gone.

She saw police cruisers and an ambulance up ahead which made her run even faster. It couldn't be her, it couldn't. Not Vega, not Tori.

Tears were rolling down her face and she started sobbing as she ran when Tori's mangled car came into view. She was hyperventilating and she stopped running, trying to collect herself and catch her breath: put on a fucking brave face.

But she just couldn't.

She collapsed on the hot shoulder right behind a police cruiser as sobs racked her body. Tori was gone. She couldn't believe it.

Jade West: the unbreakable, was finally broken.

Comment, vote, & share please!