F o u r t e e n

**TRIGGER WARNING!! Mentions of past domestic abuse/abusive relationship**

^^Not so sure how those work. Hope I did that right. Continue.....

That night, Sloane returned with a bag of her belongings.

"You're staying?" Natasha asked her.

"Probably not for long." Clint muttered. "Until she gets spooked or feels the need to run."

"I like running." Sloane told him, matter-of-factly.

"Do you want the room on my floor or Cap's?" Natasha asked.

"The one on yours is up higher. Has a nicer view."

"You know where it is."

•*•*•

Sloane had been in her room for no more than four minutes when someone knocked on the door.

"It's open."

The door opened to reveal Steve.

"Why didn't you pick the room on my floor?"

"This one has a better view." Sloane replied simply, shuffling through her bag aimlessly to keep her hands busy.

"You haven't looked at me since you got back, Sloane. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, Cap. When's your coffee date with Karen?"

"Her name's Shar—Oh. That's what this is about. You're jealous." He spoke quietly.

"I am not jealous." Sloane spun around quickly to face him, her curly hair flying into her face. She crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows. "You can have her. I don't even care."

Steve held back the grin that threatened to take over his features.

"I didn't think you had feelings for me, Sloane. I'm sorry—,"

"Don't be. It's fine. I don't care. I mean, she's okay looking, not the best in the world. Her voice is a little obnoxious—well it was when I actually kind of paid attention to what you guys were saying."

"You're jealous. It's perfectly fine to be, Sloane. This is why you need to tell me more." Steve moved closer to her. "That's how you communicate with people. I can't read your mind."

"It would be so much easier if you could." She sighed out and dropped her hands to her sides as she met his gaze briefly.

Their eyes remained locked, causing goosebumps to rise over her skin.

"I thought you were mine." The words were barely whispered as she moved the get her cargo jacket. She was ready to flee the Tower if this went sideways.

"Am I?" Steve raised his brows.

"Are you what?" She glanced over her shoulder to him.

"Am I yours?"

She stopped and thought about what was happening for a moment. Was he prompting her to make the first move to further their relationship? Or was he taunting her in some sort of odd way? Sloane had no clue. She didn't have much experience with human interaction like this.

Steve was silent, listening to his heart pounding in his ears as he watched her.

Her eyes were on him, studying his features.

This was the make it or break it moment.

"You're mine." She spoke fiercely, then locked her jaw.

"Then act like it." He challenged.

Sloane bit her lip and looked down at her jacket for a moment.