T w e n t y O n e

After a few hours of rest, the Avengers began to saddle up for their mission.

Sloane was busy packing her cargo jacket which was laying on the edge of the bed. Steve entered the room from the connected bathroom.

He was dressed in his Captain America suit, looking handsome and patriotic at the same time.

"I don't want you to go in, Sloane."

"It's a good thing I don't listen well to orders." She grinned mischievously but Steve was being serious.

"I'm not joking around, Sloane. This could turn into a fire fight and you don't have experience with that."

"I've survived this long without messing with guns, Steve."

Steve let out a heavy breath and ran a hand through his hair and over his face. Letting out a heavy sigh, he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I don't want you to go.... because if word gets out about this and people who know who you are find out you're working with us, we–the rest of the team could get into trouble."

Sloane brushed her hand over the material of her cargo jacket.

"My dad gave me this." She spoke quietly. "He helped take Barnes. And yeah, Barnes and me don't get along a lot but what he went through in the past was bad. I can't let dad be the reason it happens to him again. Barnes means a lot to you."

"You can't blame yourself for what your dad did."

"We never stole human beings before, Steve." Sloane sat down heavily beside him, her shoulders slumped and her head down. "He only did after I stopped working with him."

"It's not your fault, Sloane."

"But I don't want Barnes to hate me anymore than he already does." She muttered, a frown etched on to her lips. "He's your best friend and we argue a lot."

"I don't care how much you two don't get along. Bucky doesn't get along with many people. I think me, Romanoff,, Thor, and Banner are the only people he doesn't argue with consistently."

"I don't want you to think I'm not trying, Steve." Sloane exhaled, lifting her gaze to meet his. "Because I am. And this whole almost getting blown up by my dad thing was not my idea."

"I know." Steve smiled gently and leaned over to kiss her cheek.

"You missed my lips, Captain." Sloane placed one hand on his jaw and scooted closer to him.

"I have to go, Sloane."

"You trust me to be here alone?" She quirked an eyebrow up at his words. Her hand dropped his his chest, brushing over the white star in the middle.

"I do. The others.... probably not. But they can deal with it."

Sloane nodded her head and stopped him from getting up.

"You've got to kiss me the right way before you leave, Rogers."

He grinned against her lips, slipping one hand around her waist.

Sloane ended the kiss a little early and looked into his crystal blue eyes.

"Remember way back when you said that if I behaved we could do whatever I wanted?"

"That was a while ago."

"But you do remember right? Old age hasn't caught up too much has it?"

Steve gently squeezed her side, causing her to giggle.

"I do remember. But I know you haven't exactly behaved since then."

The two were using playful tones, their eyes twinkling with lighthearted amusement.