S e v e n t e e n

"Bitch!" Sloane grumbled as she came upon another dead end in the vent-system.

The vents were small and didn't give her much room to move around in, but she managed to twist and turn around to head back in the other direction.

Something vibrated in her pocket, causing her to stop.

"Who in the hell is calling me?" She muttered. "Who is this?"

"It's me." Steve replied.

"This call might fade out. I'm in a ventilation system." Sloane started to make her way through the shaft again, army crawling and shimmying.

"What are you doing—,"

"Don't ask questions."

"I called to see what you were up to. It's been a while since I've heard from you. But I can call later if you're busy."

"Yeah. Okay. Let me call you back in a half hour." Sloane hung up and proceeded to maneuver herself through the tight space.

•*•*•

Flashback
Two and a Half Weeks Ago

A knock on Steve's bedroom door pulled him from his thoughts. He lifted his eyes up from the floor, looking to the doorway of his room.

The Black Widow stood with a file in her hands, watching him curiously.

"Have you heard from her?" She asked.

"No."

"It's been almost three weeks since the last call. Do you think maybe—,"

"I don't know what to think with her, Romanoff." Steve cut her off. He stood to his feet and approached her. "What did you find?"

"Some pretty interesting shit. Mia Riley married a Ben Turner when she was twenty years old. They've been married for going on twenty-five years—,"

"Why does his name sound familiar?" Steve cut Natasha off. He moved to sit on the edge of his bed to flip through the file.

"I'm getting there. In those twenty-five years, they've had three kids. Two girls, Summer and Alexa, and a boy, Noah. There was a bad car accident involving the family and the three kids died in '93."

As Natasha spoke, Steve examined and stared at the pictures that came with the file. The Turner family was beautiful and happy. The three kids were young, all under the age of ten upon their deaths.

"What about the father?"

"Ben Turner is the name of a man who's a known affiliate of Thaddeus Jakande. He also just escaped from prison about a month ago."

Steve's eyes instantly met Natasha's and he paused for a moment.

"What?" She questioned him.

"Nothing. I just.... I don't know."

"Who gave you Mia Turner's name?"

Steve rolled his eyes at her as he stood up.

"Like I'd tell you."

"It was worth asking." Natasha sighed mockingly.

"You won't tell anyone, will you?"

"Of course not."

•*•*•

Present Day