T h i r t y S e v e n

"How is she?" Steve asked as he entered the precinct Alex was being detained in.

"They won't let me in to talk to her." Natasha stepped closer to Steve and lowered her voice. "There are federal agents here, Steve. I've heard talk about the CIA and Interpol being brought in."

Steve locked his jaw and ran a hand over his face. He let out a breath and looked around.

"She needs a lawyer. Get her a lawyer."

"Let me make a few calls." The Black Widow left through the door behind Steve. There were many law enforcement officials bustling around. Getting her out was going to be impossible.

"Fury wants us to take a step back."

Steve glanced over to Tony. He was in a fancy gray suit and a pair of red sunglasses.

"Romanoff mentioned something about a lawyer when I passed her just now. I've got the best in the world—,"

"I don't want anyone that can be tied back to you, Tony." Steve cut him off. "I don't want the team to be held accountable for anything she's done. I'll take responsibility—,"

"Captain Rogers?" A man in a suit approached the two Avengers.

"Good luck." Tony left the Avenger. Steve straightened his posture and shook the man's hand.

"I am Agent Jones Taylor with Interpol." The man had a British accent. "I'm the lead on this investigation. Can I ask you a few questions, Captain?"

"Let me talk to her first. I am more than willing to cooperate. I just need to check on her."

"No one is talking to the Red Dahlia until I figure out who she is." Agent Taylor assured him, holding the Captain's gaze.

"I can promise you she'll give you everything you want, just let me be in the same room." Steve wasn't going to answer any questions. He wanted Alex to do that. It wasn't in his place.

"You say one word to her and you'll be escorted out of this building, Captain Rogers." Agent Taylor wasn't happy with the stubborn Captain. "This way."

•*•*•

Alex was sitting with her hands cuffed to the table in the center of the room. Her eyes flickered over to Steve as he walked in. Fear ran through her veins instantly. She shifted in her seat and looked to Agent Taylor.

"He isn't involved in anything I've done. He doesn't know shit. I work alone. So anything I tell you, he cannot be held accountable for."

Steve was taken back by her stern, serious tone with the Interpol agent but he was glad that for once she could be serious.

"We don't make deals at Interpol, especially not with someone of your status."

"I can give you Benny Turner." Alex told him, leaning back in her chair. "I can give you Thaddeus Jakande. You name it, I can give you information on whatever you want. I have a very high status, as you've mentioned. I'll give you everything you want as long as he isn't held accountable for my actions."

Agent Taylor shifted in his spot. He looked to Steve, who shrugged his broad shoulders. He didn't want to speak in fear of messing up whatever game Alex was trying to play.

"Let me speak with my superiors. Remember, you both are being watched."

Steve watched as the agent left the room. Alex's eyes were glued to Steve.

"I need you to leave." She whispered to him. "Please."

"I'm not leaving you." He shook his head. "Do you have a plan?"