L

⚠ sensitive content

Exeter, Devon
England, UK
December 18, 1998

Dear Diary,

I finally know why I moved here in Devon.

Dad, Sophie, and I were playing Monopoly after breakfast when the telephone started ringing. Dad stood up and answered it, then Sophie and I eavesdropped on him, because he sounded very distraught.

When he went back to our game, he looked like he was about to cry. We asked him why, then he told us the truth.

He revealed why he and Mum had a divorce. He revealed why Sophie lived with him. He revealed why I moved here to Exeter.

Mum was sick and dying.

She chose to have a divorce so that Dad won't be hurt when she dies. She brought me up because she wanted me to raise my sister right. She made me move to Exeter because she was getting worse, not because she's disappointed at me for doing drugs in the past.

And, indeed, that phone call from the hospital in Bournemouth just told Dad that his ex-wife, the woman that he loves up to this day, is almost on life support.

That's why we were losing money quickly. It was because we were paying for her treatment, which did not work in the end.

Dad told us his intentions to go to Dorset, but then he remembered that we don't have enough money for that. His heart broke when he realised this, then he broke down in tears.

It was heartbreaking to see my own dad crying in front of us. He knew that there's nothing we could do to see or save her.

I went to work just thinking about everything. The manager must've discovered that I was distracted, so he told me that I should take a break because I was messing up the wrapping. He apologised to the customer because I was taking too long, but then he said that it was fine.

Of course, the customer had to be Tristan.

I know we promised not to talk to each other ever again, but this time, I had to. I took my break and he followed me, then he asked me what was wrong.

I poured it all out on him. He listened intently and wiped some of the tears that fell on my cheeks.

In the end, he smiled at me sympathetically and told me that everything will be alright.

But, with my parents' situation and my acquaintanceship with Tristan, I don't think that anything will work out.

James