Carry My Body Safe to Shore

Carry My Body Safe to Shore by emileerocksyoursocks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words: 19,817
AU: Merman!Stiles, SeaWitch!Kate, everyone else is human.
Other Characters: Peter Hale, Laura Hale, Sheriff Stilinski, Mrs. Stilinski, Scott McCall, Danny Mahealani, Jackson Whittemore, Erica Reyes, Kate (with actually no relation to any Argent), Chris Argent, Melissa McCall, Victoria (who is not married to Chris).

It's summer. Pretty much the best time in Derek's opinion. He gets to take off as many layers as he wants - which sometimes, is all of them - and just not care about anything for a while.

He's heading into a small town that's said to have a beautiful sea view, white-sanded beaches and lovely clear water. He can already see it, the ocean, stretching out so far it's nestled in with the clear blue sky.

He sees the sign that tells him he's passing the line into town and it's not far until he's driving through the town; old, homey buildings and friendly-enough looking people. His uncle and big sister are taking him in for the few weeks that he's here. He thought the house would be party central, but he's told it's actually very quiet, which he appreciates.

They live just far away enough from the town that it's comfortable, no bustle of people or cars to distract or annoy, but close enough to the water that it's only a walking distance. A few people look as he goes trough town and he smiles, it's good to be friendly even if he's sort of a loner. A group of girls stare as he goes past. They're already in their bathing suits and he shamelessly looks from behind his aviators, giving a grin.

He's more here for the water and family dinners than anything else, but a summer romance is always welcomed.

He drives up to the house, parks in the driveway and sees his sister running out to meet him. He shuts off his car and gets out, takes off his sunglasses just in time to be slammed back into his car by a Laura Hale specialty hug. He laughs and wraps his arms around her, twirls her around, "Hey, big sis."

"Oh, it's so good to see you, D." He can just about hear how big her smile is as she clings. They haven't seen each other in person for a few years, so it's good to be here.

"You gonna strangle him before I get a chance to see him?" Peter's leaning against one of the porch pillars with a smile and Laura scoffs, but lets go of Derek.

Derek presses a kiss to his sister's cheek and walks over to Peter, pulling him into a hug, "You want to be the one to strangle me, right?"

"Always, kid." He hugs him tight and pats his back, "Good to see you."

"You, too." Derek squeezes him before he lets go. "God, you were right. I saw the water coming in here. Looks amazing."

"And I know you'll want to go out and see as soon as possible... I just want you to be careful out there, okay? The locals, they're protective of... the water." Peter tells him, squeezing his shoulders, "Okay?"

Derek gives him a look, "Are they afraid I'm gonna steal the water?"

His uncle rolls his eyes, "Just stay outta trouble, alright?"

"Fine, fine." He shrugs, goes to get his bags from the trunk of his car, not really sure what he's agreed to.

He sees what Peter means, though. There are outright stares, and then careful eyes, just watching, studying. When he steps on the beach, some of the people give looks, like they don't want him here, or they're scared he'll do something horrific. It makes him uneasy for a second before he sees a guy sitting shirtless on the sand, looking at him with a smirk. He's Hawaiian, all tanned skin, and he gets beckoned over by him.