(7) A Death of Someone Close

Caitlin's POV-
    The funeral service was plain, nothing too big, just the way Joe would've liked it. A cop's farewell. The entirety of CCPD came out to say goodbye, and there didn't seem to be a dry eye anywhere in sight, but no one was as upset as Barry. Long after everyone else went home, Barry sat and stared at the headstone. My heart ached for him, for the fact that he had now lost every parent he'd ever had, and because he thought that he had to go through this alone.
     I tried to be quiet as I walked towards Barry. I stood a little ways behind him, I didn't want to intrude on his moment.
     "You should go home Caitlin, it's going to start raining soon," his voice was soft, broken. My heart twisted, and I made my way over to him and sat next to him on the ground, not caring about if it would get my dress dirty.
     "If you're not leaving, then I'm not leaving." Barry turned to look at me, his eyes were rimmed with red and filled with unshed tears. "Barry, you don't have to do this alone. I know you, and I know how you like to blame yourself for everything that happens, but you can't do that this time. This was not your fault, it was no one's fault."
    "I should've been there Cait. He had a heart attack and no one was around," he buried his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking. I reached my arm around his shoulders and drew him into my side, "I miss him so much."
    "I'm so sorry, Barry. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, you don't deserve it. I don't think I can say anything to make this situation any easier for you, but I'm here Barry. I'm here if you want to talk about Joe, if you want to sit in silence and process things, or if you just want to cry. I'm always here Barry." Barry wrapped his arms around me and I pulled him into a tight hug. He buried his head into my shoulder and I held him as his body was racked with sobs and his tears soaked through the material of my dress. I ran my hand up and down his back to let him know that I was there, that I cared.
    We sat there for a while, Barry crying and me holding him, but eventually his tears began to slow, and he became still, but he didn't let go of me. Instead, he held me tighter, "Promise me you'll never leave me, Cait. Everyone else I've cared for is gone, and I don't want to be alone."
    "Barry," my voice broke, "I will never, ever leave you, you will never be alone. I will always, always, be here for you."
    "I need you, Caitlin."
    "I'm right here, and I don't plan on going anywhere."