Chapter 49

I stuck next to my brother's side as Thomas and Minho led everyone through the Maze.

"Are you sure you can keep going?" I asked as we jogged.

We smiled down at me. "I'm meant to be looking after you. Not the other way around."

"Not the point. You're sure you can keep going?" I asked him.

He nodded. "I'm fine. I'm used to it after all this time."

I then realised that I had no idea how he got to limp. Should I ask him?

"Hey, are you alright?" He nudged my shoulder.

I nodded. "Yeah."

Newt's face dropped as we continued to run.

"Lizzy, you're a really bad liar," My brother told me.

I sighed. "I was just wondering. How did you get your limp?"

I could've sworn I saw my brother freeze. "I will tell you once we make it home."

I shook my head. "No Newt. If one of us dies trying to get out of here-"

Newt cut me off.

"We are both going to get out of here Lizzy, and when we do I will tell you what happened," He told me, grabbing my hand.

I nodded as we came to a wall that was in front of another passage.

I sucked in a breath as my brother pushed me towards the wall so whatever was behind couldn't see us.

I watched in silence as Thomas looked around the corner before turning to us.

"Is it a Griever?" Chucked asked from beside me.

Thomas nodded. "Yeah."

"Shit," Chuck cursed as I felt the air get trapped in my lungs.

"You take this Chuck. Stay behind us," Minho told the boy, handing him the device.

Teresa suddenly tapped my shoulder before handing me a hair tie. "It's okay Chuck. Just stick with me."

"Lizzy, you stay behind with them as well," My brother suddenly spoke up.

I turned to him and nodded. I wasn't sure if I was going to be of any help right now. Best to just do as I'm told.

Thomas began explaining everything as I threw my hair up into a high ponytail. "Once we're through it will activate and the door will open. We stay close, we stay together and we get through this. We get out now or we die trying."

I took a step back with Chuck and Teresa as a group of boys moved towards the front.

I couldn't hear what Thomas was saying from the front apart from the last few words.

"LET'S GO!"

I fell behind as the crowd of boys ran forward, ready to fight the creatures while I stayed back to help Chuck and Teresa.

We ran at the back of the pack as the Gladers charged at the waiting Griever, stabbing at it with their spears and knives.

I stood in front of Chuck protecting him as the Griever started attacking back, grabbing boys and dragging them over the edge of the platform.

The victims disappeared into the abyss off the edge.

"Lizzy!" A voice suddenly screamed behind me as the Griever lunged for me next.