Chapter 33

I trailed slowly behind Thomas and Minho the next morning as we started making our way back to the Glade. I still couldn't believe all 3 of us had made it through the night. It was still all just sinking in.

I was sore all over as well as tired. I felt as though I was about to collapse at any moment.

I looked down and saw raw cuts and scratches lining my hands. I knew I was going to have scars after they healed just by how deep the cuts were.

My clothes were all torn and filthy. I knew I would have to change the minute I got back to the Glade. Good thing I gave Newt his hoodie back before I ran in here.

"So I'm guessing we are the first people to spend a night in the Maze and come out of it alive?" Thomas asked Minho.

"Well, Liz did run in about 2 months ago, but we found her in a coma 3 days later so we don't really count that one," Minho answered.

Thomas turned to me. "You've been in here before?"

"Yeah, and the first time terrified me so I don't really know what I was thinking coming back in," I sighed, crossing my arms.

Minho turned to me. "You feeling alright there Liz?"

"Mmhmm, just tired," I replied before things started to spin.

I couldn't remember what happened next apart from I somehow ended up in Thomas' arms.

Dark spots covered my vision as Thomas carried me the rest of the way back to the Glade.

I then thought back to the kiss Thomas and I shared last night. What was going through my mind when I was there with him last night. He's my best friend, not my lover. Why would I do something I didn't really mean? That wasn't like me at all. I never did things without a good enough reason.

I just hope Thomas doesn't take it the wrong way.

"What do you think's going to happen once we get back?" I heard Thomas ask.

"I know for one thing there will be a Gathering called because the 2 of you broke one of the rules," Minho replied.

"They have to take into account that we were trying to save your life though," Thomas argued.

I slowly opened my eyes. "Don't bother getting too worked up about it Thomas. There's nothing we can do."

"Is that because we are new here?" He asked, looking down at me.

"Well, you're new. I've been in the Glade for a little longer, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I still broke the rules," I replied.

"I wouldn't worry too about about it you 2. Newt will take into account that you were trying to help," Minho reassured us.

We walked the rest of the way in silence apart from the small talk made between Minho and Thomas and times.

I suddenly opened my eyes as voices of cheering filled my ears. I looked and saw the whole Glade was gathered at the Doors, waiting to see if we had survived.

People started crowding around us as we stepped through the Doors. Questions started almost immediately.

"Where's Alby?"

"How did you guys make it out?"

"What happened out there?"

"Newt!" Thomas suddenly called out to my brother over all the other boys.

I tiredly looked around before Newt's face appeared in front of us.

"What happened?" He panicked.

"She's just tired. I would get her to bed and bandage up those cuts. Minho and I need to go and get Alby," Thomas explained, placing me into Newt's waiting arms.

I sighed rested my head against his chest. "Let's get you back to the Homestead."

I nodded lightly.

I don't remember much as he walked me back because I was just too tired.

On top of that, I couldn't believe I had really gone into the Maze again and come out of there alive. If it wasn't for Thomas I would be dead though.

The kiss then popped back into my mind again. I wasn't sure why, but it just kept coming back to me.

Did it really mean anything? Or was I just scared?

I mean, he was my friend before we were put into the Glade and I just kissed my best friend last night.

I snapped my eyes opening as Newt suddenly lowered me down onto my bed. I winced as Newt began to bandage up my hands, covering up the cuts that lined my fingers and palms.

After he was finished I rolled onto my side and looked over at him.

"You just get some rest alright?" He told me, brushing my hair away from my face.

I nodded. "Can you stay with me please?"

He smiled before nodding and climbing into the bed next to me.

I shuffled closer to his chest and and relaxed. I felt safe now, knowing that I could fall asleep without having to worry about being chased by some hideous monster.

"Lizzy, what were you thinking?" Newt suddenly asked.

I shrugged. "I guess I thought I would be more helpful doing something rather than screaming at Minho like everyone else."

"That's what this is about? Lizzy, you fell into a coma the first time you went into the Maze. Now you just forget about it and rush in again, just because you want to be helpful?" Newt asked.

"I know, I know. It was stupid," I replied.

"What if you weren't as lucky last night? You could've died for real," He told me.

I pulled away slightly and looked him in the eye. "I won't do it again... I promise."

He nodded before my eyes started to become heavy. I laid my head back against Newt's chest.

"Don't worry about it right now. Just get some sleep," He told me, wrapping his arms around my frame.

I nodded before finally falling into a deep sleep.

Word Count: 944

Edited: 34/4/2017