Chapter 20

I awoke with a start. I bolted up from my place in the bed and frantically looked around the room.

I saw myself, I saw my best friend, and... Jayden.

I had a boyfriend before W.I.C.K.E.D came and took my brother and I away.

What happened to Jayden though? Is he still alive? Did W.I.C.K.E.D kill him?

I looked beside me and saw my brother asleep in the chair next to my bed. I smiled to myself before remembering what happened.

I looked down and saw my hand covered in a bandage so you couldn't see the cut beneath it. Great, so now I look like a mummy with both of my hands wrapped in bandages.

A knocking suddenly came from the door. I turned my head and saw Chuck standing in the doorway.

I waved and smiled over to him.

"Hi Elizabeth. How are you feeling?" He asked.

I nodded and gave him the thumbs up.

"Newt's been there ever since you passed out this morning," He told me.

I looked back over at my brother and saw he hadn't even moved.

I sighed to myself before taking the sheet that were tossed across my body off and slid off the bed so I was knelt in front of him, ignoring the slight pain coming from my chest.

I reached out and nudged his leg a few times with my broken hand until he stirred.

His eyes fluttered open and he looked up at me. "Lizzy. When did you wake up?"

I shrugged, not being able to respond.

"How's your hand?" She asked and I held my hand up so he could take a look at it.

He had a look over it before nodding.

I got to my feet slowly, pain running up my middle again before making my way over to Chuck.

I smiled down at him before passing him and starting to make my way over to the fields again. By the looks of things we still had an hour or two of sunlight to kill before dinner and I didn't want to be held up in that room until then.

May as well get some work done.

"Lizzy, hey Liz," Newt suddenly appeared in front of me.

"Where are you going?" He questioned.

"To... Work," I managed to choke out.

My brothers eyes widened. "No, you're not. You just hurt yourself and fainted this morning."

I huffed out in frustration of not being able to argue back. I swear, when I get my voice back the first thing I am going to do is tell Newt I can look after myself.

I felt Newt rest a hand on my shoulder and start leading me over towards the Kitchen where he sat me down at one of the tables.

*~*~*~*

I spent the rest of the afternoon going through the memories I've been getting since I arrived here. A lot of things still didn't make any sense, but some things were starting to become clearer.

It was clear that I loved to sing and so did Newt. I knew this from the memory of us together when I was going through the Changing. On top of that I saw myself singing with Jayden.

I also has a lot of people I was close to before I was taken by W.I.C.K.E.D. I remember I kept seeing a girl with tar black hair in my memories. I still want to know who she is.

"Are you sure you're doing okay Lizzy? You've barely done anything since you sat down," Newt asked me.

I quickly nodded, not wanting to talk about it, not that I could anyway. To be honest, I just wanted to be left alone.

I think Newt got the message because he just left the conversation there.

'Elizabeth.'

That voice. It was the one from my memories.

"I think it would be like freedom."

That was what my best friend Teresa said to me in my last memory.

I took a deep breath before responding.

'Teresa?'

'How did you figure it out?'

'Just pairing the dreams I've been having together. You were my best friend before I was sent here,' I responded.

'That's right. I can't talk for long though.'

'But why?' I asked.

'All I can say is that things are going to start changing.'

What was she talking about? How could things be changing?

'What are you saying?' I wanted to know everything.

There was no answer.

'Teresa.'

Still nothing.

'Teresa, you seriously need to tell me what's going on.'

Silence.

I finally gave up and turned my attention to what was happening in front of me rather than what was going on in my head.

But still, what did Teresa mean when she said. 'Things are going to start changing?'

Edited: 25/10/2016

Words: 744