Chapter 3

As I listened to Bruno Mars on my iPhone, my mum started the car. The removal men had already gone so it was just us here. My mum started the car and we drove up to where we now live. I haven't seen where we lived yet, I have just seen pictures on the internet and brochures of it. It looked the same size as our house, but I don't know.

I was getting pretty tired, so I closed my eyes for a few minutes.

*DREAM/FLASHBACK*

'It was on Saturday evening, I was watching the telly whilst styling Harpers little golden locks. My mum and dad were cooking spaghetti Bolognese with garlic bread, my favourite food.

My mum had to go upstairs for a little while, I'm not sure why. I suddenly heard a big banging noise and a lot of swearing from the kitchen.

I decided not to check to see what was happening because I knew my dad could sort it. It wasn't until I heard the smoke alarms go off I noticed it was really warm now. I hurriedly got off the sofa, got a magazine and started fanning the smoke alarm . This kind of stuff always happened in our house. Dad isn't a very good cook at all.

I sat back on the couch and watched the telly intently, not wanting to miss any of the program I was watching.

I heard a screeching - moaning sound from the kitchen...

I thought it was just my dad swearing again.. I didn't know that many swear words at that time.

It started to get really warm in the house now..... what is up with this place?

It wasn't until my mum came downstairs 10 minutes later, I heard an ear piercing scream...

It was my mum who was screaming...

I couldn't see anything else in the kitchen, just orange blazes and black smoke, choking out my lungs. I tried looking for my dad while my mum called the fire brigade... I didn't have any luck...

It was my fault.....'

*DREAM/FLASHBACK OVER*

I suddenly woke up, all sweaty and hot, like I had been in the fire all those years ago. My mum was looking at me and so was Harper, with worried expressions on their faces.

"Are you alright Piper?" My mother asked in a worried voice. She doesn't know I am still having nightmares about that night.

"Yeah, just a bit of a bad dream.. I guess" I replied. I don't want her to know what my dreams are about, she will only worry.

Harper was still looking at me worriedly, I think she knows......

Yeah so that dream was about how my dad died. I can still remember it visibly.

After the fire brigade came and lit out the fire, the ambulance came to get him out of the kitchen.

my dad... It was like he was burned badly in an oven. He was burnt all over his body, it was like he was melting into the stretcher.

From that point on, I was traumatised.

Apparently, the pressure cooker practically exploded, leaving a burning pot to catch fire onto the stove.

The lid of the cooker flew off and cut my dad's head, splitting it open. He got dazed and fell onto the stove, leaving him burning and inhaling the smoke into his lungs. My dad was the fire spreader, he spread the fire all over the kitchen, trying to find the door, but it was closed so there was no escape.

He tripped over the chair and fell unconscious...

I can still remember the doctor telling us the news.

"We did everything we could, he was burned all over. He would of died anyway. I am really sorry"

All I did was cry my heart out every night since that night.

I got haunted for life.