Chapter 22: Crutchie's Angel

• Dedicated to All those young and in love

Julie ran all the way to the refuge. She finally arrived at the place at the place that had been her prison for so many years. She couldn't bear the thought of Crutchie being trapped behind those walls.

Soundlessly, she scaled the gate. She hurried across the grounds (were the children weren't allowed to go) and spotted a light in one of the windows. She recognized the window as that of the dormitory of the boys in the refuge. Shielded by the darkness of the night, she climbed the wall and pulled open the window and slipped inside. The room was deserted, except for one figure huddled on a small, dirty bed. Julie walked closer, and saw that the figure was Crutchie.

Upon seeing his face, she had to suppress a scream. He had on swollen black eye, and a bloody cut running down his cheek. His brown hair was streaked with blood. He was clutching his shoulder, which had deep gash reddening his white sleeve. He was loosing a lot of blood.

"Those monsters!" she whispered, rushing to his side.  He looked up, surprised.

"What are you doing here?" he asked in a hushed voice. "You'll be caught!" 

She smiled. "Do you think I care?" she questioned. 

"Of course not," he grinned. "You're a fighter. I like dat." She knelt beside him and took his hand. "But why are you here?" he asked again, a worried look creeping onto his face.

"I've got ta get you out of this prison," she responded.

Crutchie smiled sadly and shook his head. "You can't," he said quietly. "Look at me, I can't even walk, let alone escape!" Julie's heart dropped. She hated seeing him so helpless, in such pain. "Da best thing you could do for me is ta leave, and promise me you won't come back ta see me," he sighed. "Please, just do dat one thing for me. I don't want you ta get hurt." Julie started to protest. "Please," he pleaded.

"Fine," she sighed staring at the floor. "But I'm not leaving just yet!" She got up and walked to a small table where a pitcher of water had been placed. She ripped the bottom of her shirt and dampened it with the water. She pressed the cloth to his face, washing away the blood.

She then tore her sleeve and wrapped the fabric around his wounded shoulder. "There," she said. "That should slow the bleeding."

"Thank you," he smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "You're an angel." She blushed happily. "Better yet, my angel." He kissed her, and the world dissolved. In that moment, there were no prisons, strikes, or problems of any kind.