Chapter Five

The next three and a half months were a transition period for Abbie. She had worked out of 5-0 headquarters until she was nearly seven and a half months along when her doctor advised her it was time to begin her maternity leave; to which Abbie was thankful for. Once she had hit her sixth month she began experiencing a ton of back pain, which she knew from her constant readings was normal for that time in her pregnancy. However being on her feet all day at work only exacerbated the pain and discomfort. She had been so used to working nearly every day that it initially felt weird for Abbie to be at home, she eventually got used to being home and kept herself busy by taking up yoga among other things.

Now nearly nine months along, Abbie was anxiously awaiting the birth of her son. She had become quite uncomfortable during the past couple of days.

"Seriously mom, I'm so huge, I have to pee every two minutes and this heartburn is killing me," Abbie complained to her mother over the phone.

"First of all honey you are not fat," Amelia said holding back a smile. She had gone through the same during her pregnancy and called her mother as well. "And I know you're uncomfortable, it's extremely common considering how far along you are. You only have a few more weeks until your son is finally here you will forget about all those discomforts and all you will matter is that precious baby."

"You're right mom," Abbie cried.

"Why are you crying?"

"Damn mood swings."

"Ahh. Definitely do not miss those. Just try and relax sweetheart, maybe taking a nice bubble bath will help."

"Thanks for the help mom. Maybe I'll try that bath later."

"Any time," Amelia told her daughter, truly meaning it. Though her daughter was all grown up she was still her mother and always wanted to help her any way she could. "Sorry to cut this short but I have to get ready for work."

They said their goodbyes and once she hung up the phone Steve walked in the kitchen and greeted her "Hey."

"Damn you really are a ninja," she quipped "I didn't hear you walk in."

"How are you feeling today? I know the past couple of days have been tough."

"Other than the fact that your son is sitting on my bladder and barely stops moving or that I can barely sleep because of that, I'm just peachy" replied Abbie.

"Just relax Abbs, you only have a couple more weeks," he told her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Don't" she snapped, quickly shrugging his arm off her shoulder.

Things with her and Steve had only progressed since the day three and a half months prior she unabashedly came on to him. She was able to keep those hormones in check but found herself a few times snapping at him for no reason, again which she knew was normal at the ending of a pregnancy. Abbie had a relatively easy pregnancy so the mood swings weren't much of a bother, but she felt bad taking it out on Steve. Today happen to be one of those days.

"Sorry," he backed off, "I gotta get to work. Are you going to be okay."

"I'll be fine," she responded flatly.

With that Steve left, hoping that she would take things easy for the day and relax. He had spoken to Danny about Abbie snapping at him and Danny said it was completely normal; Rachel was the same way with Grace. There was nothing he could do other than not take it personally, which he never did.

It was shortly after seven in the evening when Steve finally got home from work. It was a long strenuous day and all he wanted to do was shower and go to bed. He headed for the upstairs bathroom; the door was unlocked so he was surprised to Abbie laying in the tub covered with bubbles.