Chapter Nineteen

I hope Abbie doesn't come off as too harsh. I wanted to show how JJ's kidnapping had affected her. Her actions may be extreme but she just wants to keep her son safe.

Following JJ's kidnapping and subsequent return home, Abbie had decided to take a few personal days from work to stay with her son. The kidnapping had shaken both parents but Abbie had been extremely bothered by the fact that someone had walked right into their house and rook their young son.

"How's Abbie doing?" Danny questioned Steve as the rest of the team entered headquarters.

"She's terrified to leave JJ alone," informed Steve, he ran and hand over his face. The frustration shown on his face.

"Let me try to talk to her," he replied, "I've been through this before with Grace. I know how she's feeling."

"I'll try anything at this point. I don't know what else to do."

Later that day Danny came over Steve's house.

"Uncle Danny," JJ squealed running over to him.

"Hey buddy," Danny picked up the toddler to hug him.

Abbie entered the room, "Hey what are you doing here? Steve's not home yet."

"Can't I visit my favorite godson," smirked Danny.

"He's your only godson," she retorted "And no."

Danny placed JJ on the floor, "I need to talk to your mommy for a bit is that okay?"

"Otay." The toddler happily walked off.

"So Steve send you here?"

"No."

Abbie cocked her eyebrow, "I'm not stupid Danny."

Danny sighed, "He's worried about you. We all are."

"You think I'm crazy?" it was a statement more than a question.

"I think you a normal parent who's been through a shitty ordeal. I know exactly what your going through Abbie. I went through this with Grace. I was so terrified to let her out of my sight because I thought something would happen to her. I understand your fear, but you can't let it overwhelm you. You can't stay locked up in here forever."

"Our number one job as parents is to keep our children safe and I failed that. I'm a cop for god sake and I couldn't even keep my son safe."

"You didn't fail. He's right here and he's safe."

"But for how long Danny? How long until another lunatic starts looking for revenge?"

"You can't keep thinking like that Abbie. Your gonna drive yourself nuts."

Her voice got louder, "Don't you think I know that Danny?" she began to pace, "I know I can't keep JJ locked in this house. I get it. But I'm a mother. I'm a cop. I know first hand the danger that's in the world," there was a pause, "JJ was taken right from his home. The one place that's supposed to be safe for him. How am I supposed to get over that?"

Steve came home late that same night. "Abbs," he yelled not seeing her upon entering the house.

"I'm putting JJ down. I'll be down in a minute," she yelled from the toddlers' room.

Steve walked passed the coffee table when he noticed Abbie's laptop sitting open on top. He casually cast a glance at the screen and what he saw made his blood boil. His face reddened with anger.

"What the hell is this?"

Abbie had just entered the living room. "What are you talking about?"

"This," he gestured to her laptop screen open to apartments in San Diego California.