Chapter Eighteen

Steve's recovery went extremely well. Abbie helped with his recovery in any way she could; mainly taking him to his doctor's appointments. The team had come by the house as much as they can to help with things including Danny who liked to remind Steve that he had given him half his liver. Noticeably absent over the course of Steve's recovery was Lynn, who she assumed was busy with work. Regardless Abbie was upset that Lynn, who stopped by the house once after he was discharged, didn't make more of an effort considering he had nearly died. Though Abbie wasn't going to share that with Steve, or anything else for that matter.

"When are you gonna tell him?" Kono casually questioned as she took a seat next to her friend.

"Tell who what?" Abbie accepted the beer Kono handed her. "Thanks."

"Tell Steve that you're in love with him,"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Kono glared at her friend, "Who do you think you're talking to sistah?"

"Kono," Abbie began casting a glance at Steve ad JJ in the water playing around. "I'm not in love with Steve."

"Abbie, we've been best friends since high school. I know you. You can talk to me."

"Kono," she looked at her best friend who had a knowing look in her eyes, "What does it matter?" Abbie sighed.

"What do you mean what does it matter?"

"Nothing is ever going to come of it."

"What are you talking about?" Kono shook her head.

"He's happy with Lynn. We've got a good thing going here. I'm not going to ruin that."

"Abbs," began Kono.

"Drop it," she said harshly, "I'm sorry. I don't want to talk about this right now."

"Alright. Alright. I'll drop it," she replied, "But you know you can talk to me about anything."

Abbie smiled, "I know."

Kono had respected her wishes and dropped the conversation. Abbie had been adamant about keeping her feelings to herself and that was what she was going to continue to do.

The minute Abbie walked through the door of her house a chill went down her spine; like something was wrong but she quickly dismissed it.

"Ashley," she called to JJ's nanny. No answer came. She tried again and again no answer.

She walked through the house and the chill down her spine returned. Ashley lay on the floor, not moving. Abbie quickly and carefully rolled her over and looked for a pulse. There was none.

"JJ," she yelled, worry apparent in her voice.

She immediately ran around the downstairs of the house looking for her son to no avail.

"JJ!"

Abbie ran upstairs, frantically searching and yelling his name. When she couldn't find him, fear and panic set in.

"He's gone," she yelled into the phone. Steve picked up on the third ring.

"What?" Steve was genuinely confused.

"JJ. He's gone."

"Abbie what's going on?"

There was no answer on Abbie's end. A struggle ensued and a gunshot went off.