Chapter Twenty

This chapter involves a scene from 7x25 where Steve tells Danny about his radiation poisoning. The dialogue is taken directly from the episode.

Chapter 21 is currently being written and will be posted soon. Trust me when I say you guys will like it.

Given the nature of his job, it was hard for Steve to spend good quality time with JJ. Following his kidnapping Steve decided there was no better time than the present to spend the day with his son.

"Are you ready for daddy son day?" Steve questioned.

"Yea" an exuberant JJ replied.

"And what's the number one rule for today?"

"No girls allowed," the toddler laughed, repeating the words his dad taught him earlier.

"Steve," Abbie playfully admonished him as she walked into the room to hear her son's words.

"It's boy's day," joked Steve.

"And what do you two have planned for boy's day?"

"Dats a secret," the two-year-old said with a grin.

"You corrupted our sweet child," joked Abbie, "Oh god he's turning into you."

A smirk spread across Steve's face, "That's my boy," he high fived his son.

"We'll while you two are off doing your secret boy things I'm going to enjoy some quality me time," she gave JJ a soft kiss on the forehead.

"Be good."

"He will."

"I was talking to you."

Steve's first stop with JJ was for breakfast at one of Steve's favorites local places. They then headed to Diamond Head for a hike. Steve wore JJ in a carrier on his back. Every so often Steve would show him the sights.

"You having fun?"

"Yes daddy."

Their next stop was the USS Arizona memorial. It was important to Steve that JJ not only know about the history of the island he would grow up on but also the history.

"My grandpa was in the navy like daddy was," he informed his son as they both stood in the memorial. JJ mesmerized by the exhibit, "He was a hero."

They walked around for a bit, Steve explaining things to him the best he could to a two-year-old, "I promise to take you back when your older kiddo."

"Otay."

"You ready to go to the zoo?"

"Yes," he happily clapped his little hands together.

JJ loved animals of all kinds so the next stop was the Honolulu Zoo.

"Where do you wanna go first buddy?"

"Monkeys!" exclaimed the toddler.

Steve smiled, his favorite stuffed animal was the blue monkey Danny had gifted him at birth. The last time they were at the zoo he enjoyed seeing the primates.

"Monkeys it is," Steve grabbed JJ's hand and walked over to the section that held the primates. For the next hour the father and son duo walked the grounds of the zoo. Stopping to see all the animals they could. The young boy clapping and smiling when he saw an animal he liked.

"Daddy hungry."

It was almost twelve thirty and Steve had more planned for the day. So he decided for lunch to stop at Kamekona's shrimp truck.