Chapter 39

Tobias
After my painful panic attack Lathaniel took me back inside to rest. I'd slept for the rest of the day since my attack had taken up all my energy. By the time I woke up it was ten at night and as I suspected Lathan was awake next to me reading.

I sat up slowly, catching Lathan's attention. "You're up." He whispered and kissed my cheek. He put his book down and turned to face me completely. "What happened today Tobias?" He asked, his voice laced with concern.

"I...I don't like the beach water." I answered reluctantly. "So you're hydrophobic?" He questioned. "No—not exactly...its just beach water that I don't like." I replied. "Something happened with it to make you not like it?" I
He asked next making me uncomfortable.

I didn't want to tell him. I didn't want him to hate my family when we'd go see them. I just want their approval and I want them to love me and treat me like family. That won't happen if Lathan is upset with them all.

"Tobias, tell me please." Lathan pleaded. "It's nothing..." I lied. "It's not nothing and you know it, tell me or I'll tell myself." He said sternly. His eyes burned a hole in the center of my head as I looked at my hands.

"Tell yourself...I can't tell you." I mumbled but he heard. He went ahead and looked for the answer in my head and it didn't take long. The memory of that day was still playing around in my head, I couldn't get it to stop...

Flashback
The whole car ride had been a living hell for me. Marco had been calling me names since we got in the car and Shane had been laughing all the way there. My parents didn't say anything though, so I was grateful for that.

This was going to be my first time at the beach. Because I was "different" mom and dad contemplated on taking me out to public places with half naked boys. They took me for some kind of pervert but I didn't let it bother me much.

Once we got there I sprinted to the water, I let everyone else take care of the bags and shit. They wouldn't have let me help anyway. The good thing about having lowkey homophobic parents was that they'd do everything for themselves because they didn't want you to "infect" anything.

I'd been in the water for thirty minutes before it all turned to hell. My first day at the beach turned out to be my last. It was Marco who started it, it was always him, then Shane followed. They screamed things...embarrassing, discriminatory, nasty, crude, dehumanizing things...all for everyone to hear.

Then they started to push my head under the salty water. I struggled to get them to stop but after what felt like forever someone else stopped them instead. That day I saw my life flashing before me and no one did anything until the guilt of watching a boy die shot them in the face.
Flashback over...

I felt Lathan release me from the mental hold he had on me. There was more but he didn't want to see it, he couldn't handle it. "They didn't accept you..." He mumbled, tears in his eyes. "They tried to kill you!" His voice rose in volume.

"Lathaniel please..." I said softly. I didn't want him to shout, it'd make everything worse. "I'm sorry Tobias." He whispered. "I'm so sorry." He continued before pulling me into the longest hug I'd ever received.

We fell asleep like that, hugging. It was nice, calming and very...relaxing. That day seemed to fade into non-existence as we slept in each other's arms. I was glad I had Lathaniel...maybe I didn't need my family to approve of him.

He was already great, right from the beginning. I don't need my family's "okay" to marry him...but I still want it.

A/N
I have decided to end this book here. I feel the story is just getting too long winded and shit for the specific book description and title. So there's a good chance I'll make a sequel but not immediately. I'm happy to announce though that there will be another book I'll put up sometime next week.

But I'm so thankful to all of you who've read and voted and commented on this book. I hope you'll enjoy the next book I put up and I hope you'll enjoy the sequel when and if it comes.
As Always...
Vote for the gay
Comment on the gay
Share the gay
Love the gay