Chapter 4 : Try Harder

King Dice's POV

I pulled the Devil away from the window once Mug turned around. I grabbed him by the arms,"Boss! Do you know what just happened!?"
He looked at me awkwardly,"No, not really. They were yelling too much."
"That kid just gave up everything he had for us! His home, his family, the town's trust! He did it just for us!"
He stared, subtle shock and disbelief in his eyes,"Oh. He really did that?"
"Dev, if that kid has faith in us, enough faith to put everything he's known at risk, then we have to try. And I mean really try to be good. We owe it to him and the rest of the town," I said.
"I'm not sure if I really can...." he admitted.
"We have to! For him!" I told him.
He thought about it for a moment, looking more than a little uncertain. Still, he nodded,"I'll try."
That's when Mugman walked in. We quickly acted casual. The kid looked devastated. I cleared my throat,"Hey, Mug. Something wrong?"
It took him a minute to answer. He said, solemnly,"No..." His eyes were watery, as if he was about to cry. Instead, with a small sniff, he pulled himself together and said,"Let's fix up the casino." I must admit, for a 7-year-old, he's pretty grown up.
I glanced at the Devil. He gave me the same concerned look I wore on my face. I walked over to Mug and knelt down. I put a reassuring hand on his back,"Hey, kid? If there's something up, you can always let us know."
He sniffed again, this time with a smile,"You two are already becoming model citizens."
These words surprised me. Apparently, this surprised the Boss too, because when I looked back at him, he was was stunned.
We immediately went to work. I grabbed the supplies from outside and brought them back in. I looked around,"Alright. First things first. We have to clear out the rubble. Boss, take the west wing. Mug, take the east wing, its smaller. I'll take the casino floors. Any questions?"
With that, we took our things and and parted ways.

The Devil's POV

The casino was a wreck, but we were determined to fix it. The west wing consisted of spare rooms in case anyone was willing to pay money to have a whole floor to themselves. Barely anyone rented them, yet it was still just as destroyed as the rest of the building. Also found on the west wing would be my office. Nobody goes in there except for King Dice and I, (and my murder victims but we don't talk about that).
I stepped inside to find all of my documents a mess. I groaned. I may be a satanic creation to the misfortune of God, but I like to stay organized! I began to pull scrolls and contracts carefully from the rubble, making sure they don't rip. I checked the iron safe, all of our profits were safe and sound. I picked up broken stones and ceiling pieces and threw them in a heavy-duty garbage bag (since we had nowhere else to put them). As I picked a stone off of my desk, I noticed a framed picture fell off the wall. I walked around the desk and slipped the photo through the shattered glass.
It wasn't a photo. It was a contract. A soul contract. A soul contract signed by King Dice. It was his. I gasped. I looked around, in case he was near. He wasn't. I examined the paper. I remember when he sold his soul to me. He was maybe a year older then that Mug kid. He nearly beat me in that bet, I had to cheat to win. He's been working here ever since. Maybe...

Cuphead's POV

"Mugman!?"
"A villain!?"
"It's true!" I told the town, who was in disbelief. "He even threatened to shoot me!"
The crowd gasped in horror. How could this be? Their hero, Mugman, turning against them? The crowd huddled around me, eager to hear more. Then, they parted ways for one person. Elder Kettle looked at me with old, watery eyes.
"No...it-it can't be true. Not our Mug."
I looked back at him, hoping off the box I was standing on. I approached him slowly at first until I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He held me back, and I could hear his soft sobs.
"I'm sorry, I tried my hardest, but..." My words choked in my throat, tears swelled in my eyes as I recalled the memories. No... I have to get him back... I let go and turned to the crowd.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the Devil has gone too far! He's stolen our money, our souls, and now he's brainwashed Mugman! If he dares to leave his fortress, then we'll know what to do..."
The crowd erupted into a roar. Elder Kettle stared in terror at the riot before him. Everything was chaotic! I turned to the cave exit.

"We'll be ready for you,
But...
Will you be ready for us?"

(A/N)
Sorry for the wait! I hope it was worth it! I'll try to update more frequently, but if not, then forgive my tardiness. :)

12/5/17