Chapter 10 : Mug's Special Day

Mugman's POV

I looked at the calendar, smiling with joy. I giggled,"Tomorrow's gonna be fun!"
"Hey, kid!" The Devil said. "Whatcha laughing about?"
I giggled again,"Nothing much! I just remembered a joke, that's all."
He raised a brow with a knowing smile,"I can read minds, you know. Don't make me look."
I grinned,"Nah, I'd rather not say..."
I thought to myself what tomorrow was. The Devil's eyes suddenly lit up as soon as he knew.
"Oh! It's your birthday tomorrow, isn't it?" He chuckled.
I laughed, jumping for joy,"It is! I'm so excited!"
"How old?"
"I'll be 8!"
"Huh, so you're all grown up now?" King Dice smirked, walking in on our conversation.
"I know, right? It's gonna be awesome!" I said. King Dice and Devil exchanged looks with smiles, the kind of looks proud parents would wear.
Then, something occurred to me. Suddenly all the joy melted away. King Dice and Devil noticed this.
"Kid?" Devil said, a concerned look written on his face.
I started playing with my fingers, avoiding eye contact,"Um...King? Devil? I have to ask you something..."
They leaned in closer.
"Tomorrow, can I leave to visit Cuphead and Elder Kettle?"
These words startled them. King Dice said to me,"Don't they think you're a villain still?"
"Maybe, but once they realize that I'm not, they'll change their minds. I can tell them how much progress you two have made into becoming model citizens!"
No one would be able to deny that they changed. Over the past month, they went from being cruel and ill-tempered to kind and loving! Of course, they still have their moments, but everyone does once in a while.
"I enjoy having the two of you around! You're like the parents I never had! But, I still miss my other family. I care about Cuphead and Elder Kettle, even though it's difficult to tell sometimes. So... can I visit them tomorrow?" I asked.
The duo stared at each other, reading one another's thoughts. Finally, they looked to me. The Devil smirked,"I don't have your soul contract anymore. It's your decision, not mine."
King Dice added,"In other words, yes."
I smiled, They really are like my family...

The next morning, I left the casino. I stood by the cave's exit, remembering what they told me:
"The town believes your a villain. Even if Cuphead and Elder Kettle change their minds, they might not," King Dice warned me.
"Listen, kid. You have to be careful. We're not sure what's out there. And if anyone tries to hurt you... CALL ME UP SO I CAN KICK THEIR BUTTS!" The Devil told me. King scolded him for the last part.

Either way, I was going out there to see my family. As soon as my foot stepped past the rocky cave walls, I was shrouded with sunlight. I shielded my eyes, it's been awhile since I saw the sun. I stared into the distance to a town, not expecting me to show up. I began to walk down the road ahead.

The Devil's POV

"Ha! He won't know what hit 'em!" I said triumphantly.
"This is perfect! Mug will never suspect a thing!" King Dice replied.
I smirked, pulling my manager close,"Of course he won't! With him gone for the day, we'll have time to enact our genius plan!"
King Dice stroked the fur on my chest,"It's foolproof."
"Especially when I have you right here~" I teased, leaning in close.
"Devy!" He giggled, pushing my face away.
I laughed, pulling him closer,"Kingy~"
I kissed him softly on the lips and he kissed back. I smiled in between. He giggled again. It was a clumsy kiss but I loved it.
I've kissed him before, but this was the first time I did it on the lips. The excited feeling of the day rushed through me and I couldn't help but try.
We were both happy (and gay) and couldn't wait to start our plans... Today is going to be a good one.

Mugman's POV

"Hello?" I called down the empty street. There was no one in sight. The only thing that could be heard were the rustling of the autumn winds against the leaves. I was alone.
"This is really weird..." I said to myself. A nervous tension crawled up my spine, like spiders on a web. I shivered.
...
...
rustle...