Chapter 8 : Disagreements

Mugman's POV

It's been a week since the incident. Dice has gotten better, but everyone seems to be in a bad mood. At least three days after Dice got attacked, I heard him yelling at the Devil. I only managed to hear the last part of the argument. At first, I thought it was about the attack, but now I'm not so sure.
King Dice was yelling,"No! Absolutely not! I can't believe this is another one of you dumb schemes to-"
"Please, KD! Look, I know your still peeved from that whole incident, but I had no idea that it was him!" The Devil interrupted, trying to plead his manager. "Maybe if we-"
"I said no! N-O! You and that guy are crazy! And now you think that if you're gonna make Mug-!"
"I know it's not ordeal, KD! But it might work!"
"He's been here for a week! If he isn't now then, what will make him? I know what you want-and that guy! I can't believe I trusted you for a minute!"
The Devil stammered,"B-but-Dicey-"
"Stop calling me that!" King Dice snapped. "I'm not your 'Dicey' or your 'KD' or whatever dumb nicknames you give me! Just leave me alone!"
I heard King Dice storm out of the room and everything fell silent. Ever since then, they haven't looked nor talked to each other. In fact, King Dice has stopped sleeping just to avoid being in the same bed as the Devil. Not only has this made things extremely uncomfortable, it's also delayed progress on the casino. Granted, we fixed the ceiling and walls a little, but everything else is still a wreck. I finally had enough of this, They can't be model citizens if they won't even speak to one another! I marched outside to see a depressed Devil smoking a cigar silently and alone.
"Devil?" I looked at him.
He glanced at me, then he smiled a little,"Hey, Mug. What's up?"
I shifted my weight to my other foot,"What's been up between you and Dice? You seem so sad and-and he seems so mad!"
He chuckled sadly,"Sit here, Mug." He said, tapping the bench lightly. I sat down.
He looked into the distance,"Mug, King Dice is mad at me for... something. Something you're too young to understand."
"Hey, I'm seven-years-old, but I beat both you and King Dice, and I won't hesitate to do it again unless I get some answers," I teased. Noticing this, the Devil laughed. If I had done this anytime before we had a mutual respect towards one another, I would've been murdered.
"Alright, kid," the Devil finally sighed. "I'll tell ya." I eagerly listened in. He smiled,"Did you know I'm 6 hundred and 66 years old?"
I gave him a look,"What does that have to do with anything?"
He nodded,"Trust me, it does. I'm immortal, kid. I never die unless I'm killed. That's why I'm so old, but I still look young, thankfully."
I giggled a little at that last part.
Flicking away his finished cigar, he continued, but more soberly. "I've seen people like you and Dice plenty of times before. They come, and then they... go. That's the worst part. I make a friend-or a lover-and then, they die. And I'm all alone again. That's why I turned bad: I was heartbroken. I still am."
I looked at him, empathically. I stuttered,"Isn't-isn't there something you can do? You know-like-be mortal or something?"
He replied,"There is. But it's a curse. It was written in rhymes that I hardly remember now, but I do know what it was about. The long and short of it: I have to find someone I love, who loves me back, and I have to start a family with them. As in...um...birds and bees."
"Oh." I got the message. Cuphead told me about those a long time ago. The Devil blushed, and cleared his throat. Then, to end the awkwardness, I asked,"Is that why King Dice is mad at you? You want to start a family with him but he doesn't want to?"
The Devil smirked,"You catch on quick, huh? But, not exactly. I've told him about the curse before. He understands-no-what he's mad about is what my plan was."
I stared,"Plan?"
He stared back,sheepishly,"I-uh-I wanted to adopt you. As-like-our son."
My eyes widened. Me? Their son? That sounds awesome! But... my real family...
"I know, King Dice thought the same thing," Devil answered my thought, obviously reading my mind again. "He got angry and said some pretty nasty things. Mostly, he said that we couldn't adopt you because it wouldn't work."
He stared at his feet again, biting his lower lip. I thought for a moment. Then I told him,"Why don't we talk to King Dice? See what really got him upset."
He sat upright,"We-I-There's no way he'll talk to me again!"
"I'm not so sure about that," I raised a brow.
I took his hand and walked him back inside the casino. King Dice was sitting at the bar counter, playing with his drink. We walked over and sat on the stools. I sat between them to avoid another fight.
King Dice took one look at the Devil and glared,"Using the kid to make me guilty, are we? Well, it won't work!"
"Dice, I-!" The Devil began before I stopped both of them.
I turned to King Dice,"I came here on my own terms. I want to know why your mad at the Devil. Is it really because he wanted to adopt me?"
He gave me a look, then the Devil, then back at me,"He told you?"
"Every word."
It took a moment for him to speak again. He finally accepted defeat and said,"I'm not mad because he wants to adopt you. Trust me, your a nice kid and all, and I wouldn't mind having you for a son, but you already have a family. I promise when this is over, I'll return you to that family and fix up your trust with the town. What I'm mad about is the fact that Devil is trying to force it!"
The Devil cut in,"Dice, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I never met for any of this to happen!"
King Dice held his arms close to his chest,"Dev, I told you this, I'm not ready. I love you, and I know you love me too, but-I'm not as confident with my body as people think I am."
The Devil stood and sat on the other side of Dice,"Dicey..."
King Dice just gave him a sad look,"I'm not like you, Dev. You have no trouble doing whatever the heck you want with your body, or anything as a matter of fact. Me, I'm still a virgin."
I stared at them as the Devil hugged King Dice,"Dicey, I get that you're not prepared for all of this, but after what...you know who, did to you...I just thought that if we did it, you wouldn't have to worry about him anymore."
"I still worry, I'm always worried," King Dice sighed. "You worry me." The Devil placed a compassionate kiss on the side of King Dice's head. "Dev, I swear we'll do it soon. Just, give me some time, okay?"
The Devil nodded. The Devil kissed him again, but this time, King Dice smiled wearily.
I smiled too. I got up from my seat and left the room. I sat outside on the bench and stared into the horizon. My face suddenly turned stern as I remembered what they said.

Who is 'you know who'?

(Date Unknown)