Chapter 27 : Diversion

King Dice's POV

"Well, I'll be damned!" Mike laughed. "You can talk!"
Cup smirked, raising a sly brow.
Mike rolled his eyes, still grinning,"Yes-your highness-you were right."
Cup bowed,"Thank you!"
"How do you feel?" I asked Mug, who was rubbing his sore throat.
"It hurts to talk, well, at least a little bit. I might of sprained it when I forced it to work again," He answered.
The Devil smiled,"We're all glad to see you back to normal, Mug."
Elder Kettle nodded approvingly,"We've just had one question we've been meaning to ask: How in Inkwell did your survive? Your body was broken in half, and you're still falling apart."
Mug looked at his feet, thinking. He bit his bottom lip, blushing at the attention he was getting,"Um, well I'm just as surprised as you are, but I think I can explain. You see, the other day, Cuphead and I were strolling through town when we heard of a new product at Pork Rind's Emporium. It turns out, it was special P. Sugar gum for quick heals on the go. So we bought a few packages, and kept them on us."
"Oh yeah!" Cuphead exclaimed. "I remember that!"
Mug nodded before continuing,"Well, when the customers controlled by the Stranger attacked, and the chandelier fell, I was chewing some of the gum at the time and I guess I accidentally swallowed it before I was crushed. I'l have to complement Pork Rind for the gum, it works efficiently!"
The Devil rubbed Cuphead and Mugman's heads affectionately, grinning,"Kettle, excuse my language, but your grandsons are the most badass children I ever met!"
The boys laughed in union.
Elder Kettle chuckled,"Well, my boys have always stood out from the rest, haven't they?"
I sat on the crouch with a hazy smile,"Wow."
They looked at me. Dev asked,"'Wow' what?"
I answered,"Wow...look how far we've come. We started as enemies, but now...we're a family."
Everyone was silent. I sat upright, uncomfortable. Was I too profound?
The Devil spoke,"No Dice. You're-you're absolutely right. I mean-just look what's happen to all of us!"
"Running away from home to help villains become the heroes," Mugman recalled.
"Bringing an entire village together to stop a threat that-in reality-never existed!" Cuphead continued.
"Not to mention, bringing power to a revenge-seeking lunatic," Elder Kettle eyed his grandson, who grinned guiltily.
"Plus, building a stronger relationship with the love of my life," I leaned my head against the Devil's shoulder, my hands wrapped around his arm.
The Devil chuckled,"And becoming mortal with the help of my foster son and boyfriend."
Mug stopped short. Dev rose a brow at him, "Yeah, I know you were fighting the guy outside while we did it. I'm not that ignorant."
Mike sighed,"Some of us also did a lot of horrible things to everyone who didn't deserve it, with the help of yours truly."
Mug added,"But, you became a good guy to make up for all your evil deeds. Which, in return, awakened a powerful mad man but you still chose to do the right thing, so that's a good step forward."
Mike smiled, wearily.
"Also-something can't be left out-we all almost died a bunch of times!" Cup mentioned, oddly enthusiastic. "Hell! We thought Mug was dead but he's alive! And that's a miracle!"
"There is one thing that brought us together. That made us into a family," I grinned.
"What's that?" Mug asked.
I turned to him,"It's you, Mug."
He looked surprised,"M-me?"
The Devil replied,"Yeah! If you didn't have the courage to try and turn us good, none of us would be here!
"I'd still be immortal, Mike would still hate us, and we'd never get to know how amazing you and your brother truly are!"
Mug blushed deeply, staring at the floor. Cuphead put his hand on his brother's shoulder, and said,"It's true, y'know."
Mug smiled,

"Thank you."

Third Person's POV

Unknowingly to all, the Stranger was listening outside. The blind fool leaned his back up against the wall. He felt the grass beneath him, not daring to stand in case there was a window. He breathed shallowly, as heard them speak.
"It's been a long day for all of us," an old, raspy voice said. Elder Kettle.
"Yeah! I'm exhausted, c'mon, Mug, I'll help ya upstairs," a younger, cockier voice replied. Cup.
"Goodnight guys!" a sweet voice giggled. Mug.
"Night, you three," a confident, daring voice chuckled. The Devil.
"C'mere, Dev. I'm in the mood for a cuddle," a smooth, intelligent voice cooed. King Dice.
"Just keep it down, okay? Goodnight," Mike.
The Stranger waited until the voices settled, and once he heard the Devil snore, he knew it was safe to roam. He felt the wall of the house and propped against it to help himself up. He felt around it as he walked, looking for a door knob. Tap, tap, tap, tip!
He felt the knob, slowly turned it, and opened the door. It creaked a little. He stopped. When no one came after him, he stepped inside. The house was small and the ceiling was low; he kept bumping his head against the door frames. Yet, he knew the door lead straight to the living room so he had to have been close.
He kept walking forward until he realized that there wasn't a wall near his target. This made his anxious as he crept forward cautiously. Being blind would need some getting used to, thankfully (for him), his other senses worked perfectly.
Finally, his knees touched something. He jumped a little, nearly falling onto whatever he just bumped into. He crouched down, trying to feel what it was. Fur. He stopped. The Devil. He felt a hand wrapped around the Devil's waist. King Dice. He smirked, this is what he was looking for. First, he needed to make sure the Devil wouldn't wake up. The Stranger rubbed his hands together, preparing his magic. His left hand was illuminating a dark color while his right hand looked for the Devil's face. Once it was found, the left hand was placed on the Devil's forehead, the glow fading away.