Chapter 10

Jake POV

   I had a swollen bruise which resembled a juicy, red, baby tomato, in the corner of my mouth. My eye didn't swell like the bruise in the corner of my mouth but it reddened the next morning when I woke up. Every movement I made, it reminded me of when I was on the floor, feeling the beatings against my skin. I could hardly get myself out of bed in the morning and even when the covers brushes against my skin, I would hiss in pain. Breathing in wasn't helping either. I didn't dare go to the hospital because they would want to interrogate me. Each breath I took, the excruciating pain in my ribs would increase. I took some pain killers this morning but nothing was helping. 

   My siblings obviously guessed that I got beaten up but I told them that I had gotten into a BMX accident; and then repeated the same answer when my mum asked me what had happened. 

"Uh! How many times do I have to tell you that riding a bike down the stairs is dangerous!" she scolded. Sighing, I nod. 'Oh and by the way, there's been good news at the hospital.' Nodding again, I look up at her then back at the bowl I was pouring milk into. 

"What happened?" I asked. 

"Your friend, he woke up." My heart skipped a beat as she went on explaining how Bryce woke up just yesterday afternoon and his mum was finally accepting visitors and that I could go and visit him. 

"Did he say... did he say anything about his attacker?" I asked, trying to hide my scared tone. She shook her head. 

"No but I hope they find him soon. He could've killed the poor boy." I nodded, facing the ground. 'Poor woman, her only child was almost taken from her.' Mum hummed. 'You can visit him soon if you want, Jay.' I nodded apprehensively. 

"Yeah." I said. 

   He woke up... that's great news but what if he remembers exactly what happened that evening with Lauren. What if he tells the police what happens to him and then they start tracking Lauren down. That was exactly what she didn't need right now when her and Camila were on a good note.

   And what was I going to do about Strike? He found a way to get my number and called me this morning to remind me to meet him at the same place where he beat the shit out of me at midday to pay him $15,000. And right now it was 11. Where the hell was I going to get that kind of money from?? I didn't have enough on my own bank account but if I ask Mum, she's probably going to ask me why I needed that type of money. 

   "Did you go to the hospital yesterday?" my mum asked me when I finished eating breakfast. I started to nod but Strike floated around in my mind, so I changed the nod into a shake. 

"Nope." I answered. 

"When are you going to go?" she pestered. I shook my head. 

"Healthcare is really expensive, you know." I said. 'Certainly if I might have a broken rib.' she sighed. 

"Just take my bank card and go to the hospital! I could go with you-" 

"No!" I mentioned. 'I'll go by myself, it's fine.' she nodded. 

"Go now then." 

   With my mum's bank card in her head, my phone starts vibrating in my pocket, which  made me dig my hand sinto my pocket and put the phone to my ear. 

"Is this Jake?" I heard Strike's menacing tone. 

"Yes." I answered. 

"Good. I'm at the place right now, get right here unless you want me to find you." I rolled my eyes. 

"Yeah, I got your money and I'm coming." I said, tapping my other pocket to feel an evelope full of money. 

   It didn't take Sherlock to find Strike - he stood out way too much. He had the same dark trench coat and sunglasses on but the cigar in his hand made a difference. He noticed me, by bopping his head towards my direction. I scoffed, eyes facing the ground, and walked towards the back of the coffee shop we had met the day before.