Chapter 14

Back in Miami

   The Jaureguis' had been awake all night, waiting for a sign, anything that could tell them that both Lauren and Camila were okay. Tempted to tell her parents and her brother, Taylor sat on the couch, glancing at each of them as they all sat silently, watching a show that they didn't even know the name, with the TV on mute. Taylor wanted to tell her parents so badly that Lauren was okay, and so was Camila, so there was no need to worry but she remembered the promise she had made her sister. The trust she put in her sister was so strong that even if someone held her at gunpoint, she wouldn't tell anyone about her sister's call. She did want to trace the number to see where Lauren had called but that would involve the police, and soon her parents. 

   The tabloid articles were not helping her parents' sanity. Most of the tabloid made comments that the girls were probably stolen by some drug lords and sold into sex slavery or even held up for ransom. Obviously these were just rumours but it never helped almost insane parents, worried sick about their daughter. 

   To the girls' luck, the Jaureguis' were still awake when they had called to tell them about Strike's call. It was Mr Jauregui who picked up. It had taken them a while to pick up but when they realised who was on the caller I.D. Mr Jauregui rose from his chair to put the phone to his ear. 

"Hello?" he yawned into the speaker. 

"Papa J!" Normani almost shouted into his ear. 'THE DETECTIVE SAID HE'S FOUND THEM!' Mr Jauregui's next yawn was at halt. His eyes widened as he heard the news coming from Normani. He instantly got up, caring less about all the attention he was getting from his family and listened to Normani. 'He didn't say anything about them deciding to come back but he's doing all he can-' 

"That's great!" he exclaimed. 'Are they okay? Please tell me they're okay?' he pleaded. 

"Yes! He spoke to Lauren and he said that they're fine. He didn't get to speak to Camila because Camila wasn't with him but he managed to get a word or two with Lauren." she told him. Mr Jauregui hadn't smiled in days, and seeing her dad smile made Taylor even more convinced about telling her family about Lauren's call. 'He's going to call tomorrow to tell us more but I guess we'll just have to be... hopeful.' Mr Jauregui nodded. He granted Normani a good night before turning to his family to tell them the good news. 

   Chris exchanged excited looks with Taylor, as Mr Jauregui swung his wife around. 

"Where is she?" Chris demanded. His dad shrugged his shoulders. 

"The detective wouldn't say but at least she's okay." he answered. 

Taylor POV

   Sitting in that living room, watching everybody smile and laugh about the news of Lauren and Camila convinced me to tell them about Lauren coming to gather her things in the house at the time of her disappearance and how she had called me some few days ago. I know they would probably hate me for keeping things from them but I was doing it for Lauren. Whatever she was doing, wherever she was, she was safe like she had promised me. 

   "Tay?" Chris questioned. 'Aren't you happy?' I nodded anxiously then faced the ground. 'What is it?' I shrugged my shoulders. I glanced at him to catch his glare. 'You've just found out that your sister is okay and Camila too and all you're doing is moping around?! How selfish can you get?!' he screamed. 'Well at least now everything is not all about you and we're actually focusing on something important instead of you!' Dad pulled him back as Mum consoled me. Tears escaping my eyes, I looked at him and blurted out what I shouldn't. 

"Everything is not all about me and I am happy about Lauren!" she said. 'I'm sorry okay! I'm sorry I made you guys worry! I'm sorry that I didn't tell you guys that I saw her before she left. I tried to make her stop leaving but she already made up her mind so I let her go! I'm sorry again that I didn't tell you guys that she had called me some few days before and that she was okay! I care about Lauren as much as you all do and I want her to be safe as well and this call made me certain that what she was doing was benefiting her and that she's safe like she promised!' they stared at me for while, astonished, before looking down at the ground. 'Don't hate me.' I whispered to anyone who wanted to hear me.