First Day (SU)

- inspired by JaDine's IGS (12/11/2017)

Nadine let out a relieved sigh as she entered their house. It's been a long day for her and she was tired (mainly because of the traffic), and so very much thankful she was finally home.

"I'm home!" She called out, but there was no response save for Shere Khan stalking pass her and to the kitchen.

"James?" She called, putting down her things and flopping down the sofa.

"I'll be right there!" James finally responses. His voice sounded far but Nadine didn't want to get up, so instead shouted back,

"Where are you?"

James didn't respond this time and Nadine decided to just wait. He did say he was going there.

That was when she spotted a pile of boxes and bags by the foot of the stairs.

She felt more tired and a tad bit annoyed seeing the mess, her OC tendencies getting the better of her.

"What're these boxes for, James?" She shouted once more.

That was when James arrived, carrying with him another box.

"What exactly are you doing?" Nadine said, a tinge of annoyance coloring her voice.

James looked at her. "You hungry?"

Nadine rolled her eyes. James always concludes she's hungry whenever she's annoyed.

"What are you doing, James?" Nadine asked again, ignoring his question. "I hope you clean up this mess cause I'm not going to. I'm exhausted."

James just grinned, placed the box he was carrying down and opened it. He took what was inside it--Christmas lights and showed it to her.

"Love, we're decorating!" He announced.

It was comical how Nadine's expression turned from that of someone who looks like they're about to hurt someone to that of a child who was just told they could eat cookies before their dinner.

"Bumbum!" Nadine exclaimed, using her usual baby tone. James could only laugh. He was 'Bumbum' again.

It was always like that with Nadine. Even if they annoy each other sometimes, it wouldn't last long.

"I was thinking of decorating earlier and surprise you but I know you'd want to do it together." He told her. "So what do you wanna do first?"

They assembled their Christmas tree first. They were both excited for that. It took quite a while to figure our how to put the trunk on the stand but they had fun experimenting.

When they finally was able to make the tree stand without it swaying, they next took out the Christmas lights. This time they started decorating outside, by the pool. Nadine wanted to decorate the tree last.

They were both quiet as they work, with them dividing the area and putting the lights separately to save time.

They then returned inside to work on their tree. Nadine looked from in front of the tree and instructed James as he hang on the Christmas lights.

When they were done, they switch the lights on together. James focused on Nadine as they did so, and so saw his favorite smile of Nadine's with that childlike wonder in her eyes. She loved what they did and James felt proud that he made her smile that way again. He'd never get tired seeing that. He was becoming a bit addicted to seeing that smile, in fact.

"It's so beautiful." She said.

Nadine then started playing Christmas songs and suddenly it just all felt surreal.

This was the first of their many Christmas together in this house and their family would be coming together.

"I think it's been about seven years since we had a Christmas tree." James commented.

"Lauren will love this." Nadine said.

James nodded, looking at Nadine. He really didn't know how he got so lucky. He was just so thankful to have Nadine--who was not just the most beautiful, talented and sexiest woman he knew but also his best friend who was so giving and has so much love to give not just to him but also to his family.

They both took out their phones and Nadine laughed. That always happened. They were just so in sync and seems to always be thinking of the same thing. They both took videos of their work and shared it on IG. Not really for anything but to share the happy moment.

Nadine had took his hand and pulled him towards the sofa. They both sat down and just look at their work.

"I'll take the other boxes out tomorrow." James said.

Nadine just nodded, leaning on him and putting her head on his chest.

"Thank you." She said.

As a reply, James kissed her temple.

Nadine looked at him with a grateful smile. "Not just for this." She continued saying. "Thank you for inviting my family this Christmas."

"Of course I would." James said but Nadine shook her head, still with her smile.

"I know why you suggested we all celebrate here. Thank you. It really means a lot." Nadine just said and she leaned in and kissed James on the lips.

She knew James so well that she knew at once what he was thinking when he proposed his plan. It wasn't just because he wanted all of them together to celebrate as one family, it was also because it was their first Christmas without Ice, and if they celebrated it in their house...

"Thank you." Nadine said once more, placing her head back on his chest and pulling him closer.

"I love you." James just said.

"I love you." Nadine said with a smile.

Christmas would be different this year, but it shouldn't mean she wouldn't be happy.

END
----

sorry for that. hi thepensieve17 😊