5

December 25th

The lights of my Christmas tree shine through my wet eyelashes. What is wrong with me? I keep fucking crying. Morgan keeps staring at me. Honestly, I don't want him in my life. I don't want Jack in my life either. But lately I've only seen myself happy in the mirror when I'm in their company. I start walking through my room and I keep glancing at Morgan. Frustrated I put it in a cupboard. I am not getting drunk tonight. Captain Morgan is staying right there. When I'm sober and not distracted, things tend to get a bit dark. And Christmas is not my favorite holiday. Katarina has texted me several times. Worried. Asking questions about me leaving with a strange guy. I don't reply. I try to watch a movie, but it's shit. My phone rings. The fuck. 'Hi?' 'Spring, 's this you?' 'Samuel?' 'Yes, it's me. You still euh... You know?' 'Am I still open for business? Yes I am.' 'I kinda told my grandmother about my amazing non-existing girlfriend and she wants to meet her today. I know it's Christmas. I'll pay you double. My family is very nice.' 'Text me the time and pick me up at the kiss and ride thingy near Amsterdam Central Station, yeah?' 'You are amazing.' 'Thanks Sam.' I dry my tears and I take a deep breath. Never have I ever spent Christmas with a stranger's family. Let alone the family of a fake boyfriend. But getting paid for eating and being cute with someone is not the worst. And at least I am not lonely this Christmas.

'Oh look at you, you look gorgeous. Samuel how did you manage to get a girlfriend this beautiful?' The old lady touches my hair and my dress and looks like she's in love. And it breaks my heart a little. 'Thank you for coming dear. I hope you eat meat. I've bought too much again.' Meeting Samuels parents was a bit awkward. They found it weird to meet their son's girlfriend for the first time on Christmas Day. But his grandma is so lovely. She pats the chair next to her and signs me to sit next to her. During dinner, she keeps telling cute childhood stories. Samuel looks embarrassed but I kiss his cheek to let him know that it's okay. After dinner, grandma hands me a small present. 'It's not much, but he only told me yesterday that you were coming. Next year I will get you something nicer.' A necklace. His grandma bought me a fucking necklace. Samuel helps me putting it around my neck. I quickly wipe a tear from my face. 'Thank you so much, I love it.' His grandma looks happy and I can't handle it. Sam intertwines his fingers with mine. I squeeze his hand and I can feel all his relatives staring at our hands, which are lying on the table. It actually feels like I am in a relationship right now. And when that sinks in, I start to panic. Accidentally, I down three glasses of wine within fifteen minutes and don't stop drinking until we're leaving grandma's house. Sam drops me off at my flat and after receiving the envelope, I take off the necklace and put it in his hand. 'You are a fucking asshole. Your grandma is a fucking angel and you do this to her. How could you? I am never ever going back to that house and I am not helping you with our break-up. Merry Christmas Samuel.' I go inside and slam the door close. Dramatic as fuck. I don't care. I should've brought one of those bottles of wine with me. But thank fuck for Morgan. He's still in the cupboard. I greet the bottle with a smile and we have an amazing evening together.