chapter 23: Small Remembrances

"I'll think about it," Keitan replied. "Give me three days for the least."

"Okay then." Mari proceeded to walk into Urahonoshi, while Keitan walked away, going towards Chika's family's inn.

For some reason, the sentence when Mari stated the probability of his age was stuck in his mind.

'Well, I can't really say much, so I guess you're probably 19.'

Keitan instantly held onto his head, remembering something, but it was just a single, thick male voice, along with the somewhat annoying happy birthday song.

"Son, congratulations on being 17!"

Keitan shook his head, but took note of the remembrance.

'I can't tell how old I was at that time, but for the time being, I'll just say I'm 17,' Keitan thought, nodding at the idea he had thought out.

He soon found himself being in front of the sweet shop Chika had mentioned.

'So this is it, huh. . . Which next?'

"Hello there, young man. Is there anything I can help you with?" An old voice said out.

Keitan looked into the sweet shop and saw an old man, probably in his 60's, holding onto a metal cane as a support. The old man wore a white shirt, and black trousers. The man also had his back bent. It was obvious that this man had experience with anything that has a sweet taste, as the eyes of the old man showed experience.

"Honestly, no. But thank you for asking, mister. . ." Keitan replied politely, smiling, before finding himself staring at the various confectionary in the shop.

Keitan checked his pockets, and felt a large hump at the pocket on his posterior. He took it out and was surprised to see a wallet.

The wallet was obviously made of leather, as it was brown in colour and had a somewhat rough surface. Just holding it seemed clear that there was a large amount of paper in it.

Keitan checked its contents and was slightly shocked. There were at least several million yen in the wallet. What makes it strange was that there was no ID card. As if someone had deliberately stuffed the wallet into Keitan's pocket unnoticed, and then went to report Keitan about stealing his wallet.

Of course, that will not happen. . . Yet.

Keitan stared at the candies and chocolates, then the wallet. He had decided.

. . . . . . . . . .

"Thank you, young man!" The old man yelled at Keitan.

"You're welcome!" Keitan yelled back. He had bought several chocolates and candies for him, and probably share for the others, which were stuffed in the various pockets he had in his jacket and pants.

Keitan decided to eat one right then and there. The first one he took out was Snickers.

He unwrapped it and one single bite from it made him remember another audio. This time, it was feminine, and older.

"Keitan, you really have a sweet tooth, huh?"

"What's wrong with that?"

Keitan remembered him replying to the question. Keitan stared at Snickers bar in his hands, and decides to finish it off, as not doing so would cause it to go to waste.

"Well, seems like I remember more things about myself now," Keitan muttered, before smiling a bit, as he reached Chika's family's inn safely.