chapter 44: Understanding

Mishiga stood at the entrance, waiting for Rin to come along. He had packed all of his belongings, and just standing there at the entrance makes him look like a homeless man. However, Mishiga justified that he was not, as his house was only used for the investigation of the police.

When he saw Rin running towards him, he realised she was wearing casual clothes. She had a black fedora on her head, which she wore loosely.  She also wore a red and white vertical striped t-shirt. She also wore blue hot pants, much to Mishiga's surprise. Mishiga couldn't even care what sort of shoes she wore.

"Shire-kun!" Rin said to him, when she was close enough.

"Yes, Hoshizora-san?"

"First off, can you call me by my first name from now on, nya?"

"E-eh?" Mishiga had his cheeks tinted with a small red hue. For Japanese, saying a person's name, especially their first, without a suffix means two things: either to be rude to a person, or to indicate how close a person is to the person said towards. In this case, the latter seems likely.

"I feel uncomfortable if you keep saying my name like that, Shi-no. Mishiga-cchi."

"M-Mishiga-cchi?" Mishiga's cheeks went to another brighter red. Not much people had ever call him by his first name, so technically, Rin was the second. Mishiga wouldn't reveal who's the first, if asked.

"Ah, was that uncomfortable for you, nya?!"

"W-what? No! I'm fine with that," Mishiga replied, shrugging off his embarrassment, and played it off.

"Really, Mishiga-cchi?"

"Yes, Rin-san."

"Still with '-san', nya?"

"Okay fine, Rin. You win."

"Good, nya!"

"About me being able to live with you and your parents. . ."

"Oh, they totally allowed it, nya!"

"What?" Mishiga was dumbstruck.

"Yep. They allowed, nya! And I'm not joking."

". . .  Can you stop with the 'nyan'-ing, please Rin?"

"Nope. nya~!!"

Mishiga had this face on:

-_-*

He then heaved a sigh, letting out all of his anger out in that single breath.

"Since we're here, why don't we shop, nya??"

"I was robbed this morning, y'know."

"Oh. Right. . . Let's go home then, nya."

. . . . . . .

"Rin, I did not know you dated with a homeless man," the father of Rin said, heaving a sigh of dissapointment to his daughter. They were in the living room.

"But sir, with all due respect, my house was robbed, and I couldn't go back there. You can't ask me to go to an orphanage or a senior citizen centre. And also, me and Rin aren't dating," Mishiga stated, trying to reason with him.

"Then why are you not using any suffixes to her?" Rin's father asked.

"Because she asked me to."

"You're just gonna be those same people who would tease her for being feminine."

"Wait, what?" Mishiga was confused as he had not understood or knew Rin's past.

"You don't know her past?" Rin's father asked.

"I require explanation, please."

. . . . . .

"So, you were teased by boys just because you wanted to be feminine?" Mishiga asked Rin, who nodded. They were still in the living room. Mishiga had listened very intently of Rin's past, and understood it completely. Mishiga then managed to convince Rin's father that he was different, and was subsequently allowed to stay at the Hoshizora household for the time being.

"Well, that's weird. You look really pretty if you're being feminine," Mishiga stated, causing Rin to blush.

"R-really?"

"Yep."

Mishiga felt himself slightly jerked forward, as he felt warmth all over his body. In his view, Rin was gone, until he looked at his side.

Rin was hugging him.

He felt her arms wrapped around his neck, and their cheek touching against each other. Their bodies were pressed against each other, and Mishiga couldn't help but bring out a small smile for a split second.

He then hear Rin's whisper.

"Thank you, Mishiga."