The Visit

TW: None

Heidi's POV

"Jared, throw the bathbomb away." I ordered. He wined,

"But it's my lunch!"

"Those things will kill you." Alana said. With a sigh and a few grumbles, Jared put the lavender bathbomb down on the kitchen counter. It was progress.

"All right guys. Time to go." I told the trio. We all marched out to the car. Alana and Zoe climbed in the back. Jared sat in the passenger's seat. I was driving. I turned on the ignition and the car roared to life. I pulled out of my driveway and sped down the road. Jared sneaked his hand over to the radio. Without taking my eyes off the road I slapped his hand away.

"My car, my music." I growled. He shrugged and pulled out earbuds. For the first hour or two, the car was silent. The young adults *sniffle* were all on their phones. I was content to listen to my music and reflect on some things. Like Paul. (Remember him?) But mostly Evan. How could I not be worried about my little boy? Especially in the state he was in.

As we got closer to Wayfort, the car grew noisier.

CRONCH

"Jared! What did Heidi say about eating bathbombs!" Zoe exclaimed from the backseat.

"How can you resist the cronch?" Jared teased. I bit back a laugh and rolled my eyes. These guys could be pretty funny sometimes.

In the rearview mirror, I could see Alana grab Zoe's hand. The two held on tight to eachother. My heart melted at the sight. It reminded me of Evan. Sure, I had barely known Connor before he was in the hospital. Sure, I had despised him since he broke Evan's heart. But Connor made my son happy. There wasn't a lot I could hold against him.

I was quickly snapped out of my thoughts by Jared screeching,

"KiNkY!"

"We weren't doing anything." Alana explained, an annoyed look on her face. Meanwhile, Zoe's face was beet red. I giggled at their shenanigans. They were young adults, but they were still kids at heart. Or maybe they still were kids. But because of everything going on they aged too fast.

The trio stopped joking around when we pulled up to Wayfort's gates.

"Do we have a plan?" Jared asked me as he took one last cronch of his bathbomb.

"I was kinda hoping you guys did." I admitted as I drove down the road. Once again, I saw different groups of teens hanging out on the lawn. I looked at the clock. It was just turning 4:40. Perfect, I thought as I pulled up to the office. Before the car even stopped, Jared and Zoe jumped out. Alana, the smart one, waited until I had parked. The four of us walked into the office together.

Jared opened the door. I was the first one inside. I marched right up to the counter.

"We're here to visit Evan Hansen." I told a woman behind the counter. She squinted at her computer screen.

"Okay. You guys can follow me." She said as she got up from her chair. The woman led us out of the office and down a hallway. She entered another empty room.

"You guys can wait here. I'll go get him." The woman told us. The four of us looked around. The room was kind of plain. It had a couch and a few chairs. The walls were a pastel green. There were a few simple paintings on the walls. We sat there, anxiously waiting for Evan.

I saw a flash of blue in the doorway. Then I saw his sandy blonde hair.

"Evan!" I exclaimed as I jumped up. I rushed over to him and embraced him. He stiffened at my touch. He didn't relax. I pulled away and looked him up and down.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" I asked him. Evan only shrugged. I opened my mouth to speak again but was cut off by Jared.

"We miss you Acorn. How's it been here?" He said.

"Good. I-I made some f-friends." Evan responded. I could see Evan cringe when he stuttered. That had only happened once before when he had been bullied for stuttering. If my Mom Mode™ wasn't activated now, it sure was.
Evan moved on to talk to Alana and Zoe. I slid closer to Jared and whispered,

"I think he's being teased or something. The last time he cringed when he suttered was when he was being bullied."

"I think so too. But there's something else going on. I just don't know what." He whispered back. I nodded. Evan seemed like a part of him was missing.

Like a part of him had given up hope.

I shoved my thoughts away and focused on my son. I could analyze everything later.

The whole time we were there I held tightly onto Evan's hand. Your mom isn't going anywhere. Your mom is staying right here, I thought.

"It w-was r-really nice that y-you guys came. I-I have to g-go though." Evan told us as he wiped his hands down his pants. I wrapped my arms around him and held him close.

"I love you Evan." I whispered. He said nothing back. I could feel tears prick my eyes as he went around and hugged his friends. Once Evan left the room, I couldn't help but break down sobbing. Zoe rushed over and pulled me into a hug.

The four of us walked back to the office and out to the parking lot. Outside, the sun was starting to set. It would've been a beautiful sight if I hadn't been so worried and heartbroken.

"I'll drive." Alana said as she climbed into the car. Zoe sat in the back with me and Jared sat in the passenger's seat. I stared out the window, watching the sky turn dark as we drove along.

What had happened to my son?

Hey there! I hope you liked the chapter! Sorry I didn't update yesterday. Today I had a snow day! The snow is crazy. We have so much and it might keep going. So, I'm also off tomorrow! WHOOP! My friend Julia came over at 11 last night so now we're hanging out. I fell asleep around 2 this morning reading fan fiction. I woke up to Julia slapping my face so she could take off my glasses. Oh, and I might've given the family computer a virus trying to play Delicious Emily games. Anyway, thanks for reading! I love you guys so much!

-Cronch