Back Home

TW: None

Heidi's POV

It was finally the day to pick up Evan. I had to take deep breaths to stay calm as I drove down the road. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Jared lecturing Leo about bathbombs.

"How can you resist the cronch? The cronch is life!" Jared exclaimed. Leo rolled his eyes.

"Leo, you can't ever eat the blueberry bathbombs. They're the children of Satan. Lavender is the best. Then the rest are just okay." Jared told him. I chuckled and focused back on the road.

*le time skip brought to you by me finally doing one after a while*

I pulled up in front of Wayfort's gates. The teasing in the back of the car grew quiet. The only noises were the purring engine and the quiet classical music coming from the radio. I carefully drove down the street and pulled up in front of the office.

Piper, Leo, Megan, and Julia jumped out of the car.

"Are you coming inside?" Megan asked as the rest of the gang rushed inside. With a sad smile on my face, I shook my head. I watched her run into the building after her friends. Once the door shut I broke down crying.

I wasn't brave enough to be there for my son.

I parked the car and unlocked the doors. Jared threw his open and ran up to the door. Leo threw his open and quickly slammed it shut. When he saw I hadn't moved, he jogged over to my car door and opened it.

"Come on Heidi. Let's go get Evan." Leo said as he reached out his hand. I grabbed on and he pulled me out of the car. I could feel my legs shaking as he led me up to the office door. Jared pushed it open and I followed him inside. The three of us walked up to the counter. The man who had checked Evan in sat in front of the computer. I tried to speak around my fear, but Jared beat me to it.

"We're here to check out Evan Hansen." Jared told the man. He looked up at our group.

"I'll go get him." The man said before leaving the room and walking down the hallway. Tears pricked my eyes as we waited. I clenched my hands and stared at the ceiling. I took deep breaths like I had done with Evan for years. With the panic toned down, I was ready to do this.

Just then Evan walked through the door, bag in hand. Tears started streaming down his face and he dropped his bag. He rushed over and embraced me.

"I-I love you t-too." Evan whispered. With waterfalls flowing down my face I held him tighter. Over his shoulder, I could see Leo pick up his bag. Evan pulled away and hugged Leo next. Then Jared. Once all the hugging and crying had calmed down we walked out into the parking lot.

Evan climbed into the passenger's seat. He changed the radio station to light jazz. I didn't mind. I could see Jared glaring at me from the backseat.

"So when Evan changes the station its fine?" He joked.

"He's my son Jared." I told him with a chuckle.

"Thought you said I was your second son." He grumbled. Leo perked up.

"Can I be your third son?" Leo questioned.

"Yes you can." I said.

"Now we're all brothers!" Jared exclaimed. I glanced over at Evan. He had a faint, sad smile on his face.

The chatter died down and my three "sons" were all occupied. Jared was listening to music, and of course, crunching on a bathbomb. Leo was texting somebody. Evan was staring out the window. After a few hours, they all fell asleep.

It was getting late when I finally dropped Jared off at his apartment.

"Later my bros." He said as he naruto ran up to the door. I laughed and I could see the two other boys cringing. Then I drove them back to their apartment.

"I love you guys. Get lots of sleep. Call me if you need anything. Food. Laundry. Comfort. I mean it." I told Evan as Leo grabbed his suitcase out of the car.

"A-Actually, could you d-drop m-me off at the h-hospital?" he asked. I looked back at Leo. He shrugged and brought Evan's bag inside.

"Sure. Hop back in." I responded as I unlocked the doors. He jumped back into the car and I drove him to the hospital.

"Do you want me to wait for you?" I questioned as I parked in front of the building.

"It's a-alright. I'll find a-a r-ride back. Thanks M-Mom" Evan assured before climbing out of the car. He slammed the door shut behind him. I watched my boy disappear into the hospital.

Connor, please wake up soon.

Evan's POV

I stood in the doorway of his room.

"I'm b-back." I declared.

Connor's POV

"Evan?"

Hey guys. Hope you liked the chapter! I feel like nothing super special is going on right now. Wait. I have something. Turns out the family computer is okay. It was fixed. Yay. Just no more Delicious Emily games for me. Other than that I have nothing to say. Thanks for reading! Love all of you so much!

-Cronch

Wait. I wanna start another lyric chain!

Okay, when the doctor started saying you'll pass away, what could I say?

Hope you guys know that song