Letter Twenty-Two

When did you first notice that I was pulling away? Was it when I broke our Big Brother tradition? Truth: thinking about our tradition is bringing a smile to my lips as I write this.

I'd go to your house every night it came on and we'd sit in your living room with popcorn and soda. I would lay my head on your lap and we'd laugh at things people would say or do, we'd argue over who was the better player or who would win in the end. It was so important to us and we'd never miss an episode.

But one day I didn't show up. You called me ten times before I finally answered. I had told you that I was going out to eat with my family and that you could tell me later what happened. I could hear the disappointment in your voice, but I was so high that I didn't care.

I could tell that you didn't believe that I was really going out to eat with my family, but I was, Tatiana. It was my parents' last ditch effort to keep their marriage together. But as I'm sure you know by now, that effort was in vain.

They got divorced last month. It hit me harder than I expected. I spent months watching my family fall apart and it was starting to kill a part of me I couldn't get back.

I let my pain get between us. I let it create a chasm so big that neither of us could get over it to get to the other. But you tried. You tried so hard to get back the boy you loved.

But he was gone. And you never knew what happened to him.

He died along with his parent's love for each other.

Aidan