Letter Thirty-Four

Truth: I fell in love with Jessica because she brought the good out in me.

I managed to stay off the pills for about a week, but I couldn't help myself from sneaking out to a party where I knew there would be pills. I was trying to convince myself on the drive there to turn around, but the whole time my foot was pressed firmly on the pedal.

When I got halfway there, Jessica called me. I told her what I was doing and somehow she managed to get the address out of me. I think it was because I didn't expect her to show up in an old sweatshirt and ripped jeans with hair so messy I could've sworn she hadn't brushed it in weeks. I asked her what she was doing there. All she did was shrug and say she ran out of soda at her place.

I was known by most the dealers in town, so I wasn't surprised when one of them came up to me, expecting to sell me something. What did surprise me was when Jessica stood between him and I before saying, "We're really not interested in hearing about Jesus today."

When the guy just looked at me as if to say did she really just say that? Jessica said very calmly, "My dad's a cop." He got the hell away from her after that and not another dealer came our way the rest of the night.

I had thought she was joking, but I later found out the night I met her parents for the first time that her dad was the cop that showed me to my jail cell when I was arrested. I expected him to kick me out of the house, to tell me all I was going to be was trouble, but he didn't. He just passed me the mash potatoes with a genuine smile.

She was the daughter of the Sheriff and I was just the friendly neighborhood pill addict. She was attracted to the bad in me and I was attracted to the good in her. Maybe I could be her Yin and she could be my Yang.

Aidan