Chapter 15

Astrid's P.O.V.

"You shouldn't worry about it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for work," I say to Hiccup before walking across the street and into my replacement for Starbucks until it's rebuilt. My old boss hooked me up here, since his sister owned it, but I still intended on working here after they rebuilt Starbucks. This was another cafe called The Dragon Wing. Everything in here was dragon themed. Like the Nightfury's Favorite was a black coffee, the Gronckle Special was a hot chocolate with marshmallows, and the Nightmare classic is coffee with a flame design made from creamer. Employees aprons are supposed to be made of dragon scales but it's really just leather. It's a little lame but it's a fun work environment. I put my bag on my aprons hook and hear someone call my name. I look behind me to see a group of people from school, made of the following people: Fishlegs, Snotlout, Heather, Ruffnut, and Tuffnut. I grab my note pad before walking to their table.

"What can I get for you today?" I ask, readying my pencil. Honestly, who invented pencils? In the old days they used quills and ink! I prefer pens because you don't have to worry about the led breaking.

"I thought you worked at Starbucks," Snotlout says.

"Um, my boss hooked me up with a job here while they rebuild it. Have you guys decided or should I come back in a minute?" I ask.

Then, Heather starts blabbing to me about random stuff and I just stand there, nodding and smiling, for a minute before slowly inching away, occasionally humming or murmuring in agreement to whatever she was saying. I'm just about to slip to another table when Fishlegs snaps his hand over her mouth and saying they were ready, earning him a glare from the black haired girl. I come back and wait for the first person to order.

"I'll have a Gronckle Special, extra boulders," Fishlegs says and I look at him in exasperation as I write it. I'm sorry but I don't like when people say 'boulders' instead of 'marshmallows'. I then look outside as I realize what he ordered.

"In this weather? It's like 75 degrees outside," I say and he looks at me with narrowed eyes.

"Looks like the costumer isn't always right," Snotlout says slowly with his judging voice.

"Looks like you think I care about policies," I speak the same way as him, tapping my chin with my pencil tip. We don't stop glaring at each other as I take everyone else's orders, not even looking at my notepad. I then go behind the counter and make the drinks before delivering them and getting away before Heather drags me into her gossip.

"Hey, Astrid!" I groan before turning around with a forced smile.

"Hey, Mark!" I says, greeting my coworker. Why couldn't he just do what I try to do and come in, do his shift, and go home? He hands me an envelope and realization hits me. I forgot he was in charge of handing out paychecks. "Thanks," I say before stuffing it in my bag and going to take more orders.

Three hours later

Fishlegs and the others were still here, watching me as I went from table to table, taking and delivering orders. "Okay, Astrid, it's the end of your shift, why don't you get outta here?" my new boss, Crimson says as she walks up to me.

"What?" I whine, wanting to work longer so that I don't have to go home.

"Yeah, my brother warned me about you. We are gonna break that workaholic habit before it gets you back in the hospital," she says and I sigh before exchanging my apron for my bag.

"So, Astrid, you kiss strangers for a living, now?" Heather asks as I pass their table.

"Whoa! I'll take some of that!" Snotlout cheers, handing me ten bucks.

"They're 200, and I'm off the clock," I tell him with a roll of my eyes and am about to head for the door but Ruffnut pulls me into their booth.

"That is not healthy," Heather says.

"Guys, I can't talk about this right now, I need to get to the bank," I tell them only for Snotlout to move next to me, trapping me in the chair.

"You are not kissing strangers for money. Tell me you're not!" Heather says.

"Why do you even care?! They're my lips, not yours!" I say.

"You're only supposed to kiss Hiccup!" Ruffnut blurts out before Tuffnut covers her mouth with his hand.

"Don't worry, he stole my first," I tell her, resting my head on my palm and turning my head from the group.

"Really?" Heather says happily. I glare at her and nod before pushing Snotlout away and walking out of the Cafe. Once outside, I look at the sun, sinking below the horizon, and run towards the bank. After cashing the check, I walk home and pause as I see a blind man, on a bench, playing the saxophone. I listen for a moment before putting 50 in his case. I know, I know. How am I gonna pack Hiccup back with 25? I have an extra 25 in my room. I'll put them together and give it to him at school. I murmur a quiet prayer for him as I walk away.

At home

I walk to my room and freeze as I see my mom digging into the hole in my mattress. "Mom, what are you doing?" I ask and she snaps around with my 600 in her fist.

"How long have you had this?!" she shouts angrily.

"Uh-" I don't get a chance to reply before screeching in pain after a mini explosion sounds, filling the air with the scent of gun powder. I scream in agony and fall to the floor as my legs give out. Blood pooled around my head as I pressed my cheek to the carpet. Why did she do that?! "What did I do?" I sob as the pain subsides the slightest bit.

"Kept this from me," Mom snarls as she waves the money in front of me. I try to catch my breath as she steps over my body and a moment later I hear the door slam shut. The sound was sightly muffled and I sighed as a fire burned my skin. As I apply pressure to my wound, trying to stop the bleeding, nausea and drowsiness slowly and painfully leaks over my body. And....now I'm in dept, was my last thought before I lost sight and consciousness.