Chapter 50

Astrid's P.O.V.

I sighed as Hiccup parked outside the school. "Pizza if someone says something?" I ask.

"Pizza, bread sticks, soda, ice cream, and anything else you think the night will call for," he says and I nod before we get out and walk for the school, Hiccup's arm around my shoulders. We walked into the school and the chattering of the commons stopped as we walked to an empty table.

"Uh, Astrid?" I turned my head to see Heather standing at my shoulder. "Uh the school just wants you to know: We're all behind you, if you need-" I cut her off.

"Heather, please, just-- I don't want to think about that right now. I just want everyone to treat me like normal," I say apologetically.

"Uh, no you don't. Other wise Snotlout will become obnoxious again," she says, sitting with us.

"I'd prefer it," I say. She and Hiccup looked at me in shock. "Wait a minute. Why am I sitting here? If I want things to be normal, I should be in the library to study," I say, nervous under their gazes, before standing up and walking for the library. I walk through the library, to the other door, and head down the hall to the gym. I stop at Jerry's office and he looked at me as I raised my hand. He hesitated before grabbing his keys and walking toward me.

"Take it easy today, okay?" he says before giving me the keys.

"Can't. I need to get back to normal as soon as possible," I tell him, not meeting his gaze, before jogging down the length of the gym to the north door. 

I go next door to the weight room. I flipped the light on and looked around before sitting on the chair of an arm machine. I pulled the rod out of the five pound weight and placed it in a weight about a foot below it; 90 lbs. I grab the bar above my head and pull it down, sending fire across my shoulder. I pull harder as the weight starts to lift. After a few minutes of me trying to get used to the pain, I hear the door open and shoot up from the machine before grabbing a weight bar and lifting it like a bat. I spun around to see Hiccup standing in the doorway, arms crossed.

"Forgot 'library' was your code word," he seemed to growl from deep in his throat as he stalked toward me. I froze as he snatched the bar from me and dropped it against the wall. "The doctor told you to take it easy, Astrid," he said before moving my shirt to look at the stitches on my shoulder. "You're lucky they didn't break," he says before pulling me out of the weight room and down the hall. 

After school

So almost anyone I passed in the hall said something and now, Hiccup was ordering the pizza as he drove us home. Whoa... I don't think I've ever actually felt like his house was my home before. I looked at Hiccup from the corner of my eye. What did I think of him as? 

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" Hiccup asks, hanging up his phone and breaking me from his thoughts. I look at him, unsure how to answer.

"Just what I call stuff," I say before turning my head away.

"What?"

"Like, I don't call my wanting to cut and carve depression or anxiety even though that's what it is. I just call it a challenge that I've learned to live with. For the longest time I haven't called your house my home, even though that's what it is now. I don't call things the same as others," I explain. He hums in thought as we pull into the drive way.

"What do you call me?"

"I was just asking myself that," I answer quietly after a pause.

"You want me to answer for you?" he asks and I pause before looking at him with a small nod. "You should call me the boy, to whom you've gaven a new feeling, that he's never felt before in his life," he says before leaning forward and kissing my cheek.

"I did?" I question before he smiles softly and takes my hand in his.

"Astrid, before I met you, I was lost. I didn't have a purpose in life so I made one for myself. I made my purpose to break a new heart everyday. And when you came to town, I found one that I like much more; guiding and helping you see the good things in life. You find a new one everyday, right? So do I. I've never felt like this, even with the girls I was fond of. I love this feeling," he tells me, looking into my eyes. My blood ran cold. Did he love the feeling...or me?

Evening

Hiccup had put in Die Hard and we were about half way through the movie. Pizza boxes and soda cans were scattered around the living room and Hiccup had fallen asleep with me under his arm. I tried to get up for another soda but he pulled me back into his side with a grunt of comfort.

"No, no....no," he murmured as he wrapped his arms around me tighter, burying his face in my hair. I put my hand on his head and started lightly scratching it with my nails. Hiccup sighed before his grip loosened. I took my chance and slipped away from him before going to the kitchen and opening the fridge.

"Come 'ere!" a voice grunted happily as someone snapped their arms around my waist and lifted me off my feet. I let out a yelp of surprise as they pin me to the island and pressed their lips to mine. My heart was pounding against my rib cage and my blood was hot, making me break out in a cold sweat. My breathing became uneven and Hiccup pulled back as I tried to steady it.

"Don't do that!" I wheeze as he rushed to get me some water.

"Oh, my gosh Astrid, I'm sorry," he said as I took a gulp.

"Can't you find a different way than sneaking up on me?" I ask as I finish.

"I--uh, didn't really think you'd react like that," he says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well next time you should," I scold, trying to calm my heart. I take a few deep breaths but it doesn't slow, and I was still sweating. "Hiccup," I say nervously and he looks at me. I put my hand to my chest. "Hiccup," I repeat.

"What? What? What's wrong?" he asks worriedly, grabbing my hand.

"I don't know," I whimper, "But it's something. I'm having a heart attack!" 

"Okay, calm down. I'm sure it's not that," he says, trying to calm me down.

"Oh, since when are you a doctor?!" I snap.

"Astrid, calm down. Everything's gonna be alright," he says.