Chapter 26

Hiccup's P.O.V.

"Astrid, where have you been all day?" I ask as she walks through the door. I guess my voice had come across more aggressive than intended because she froze, staring at me with enlarged eyes.

"Uh...s-school," she says nervously.

"Why? It's Saturday," I tell her.

"I-uh...went to work and they told me it was Wednesday," she still sounded really racked.

"Why are you nervous?" I ask, walking toward her slowly, so as to not make sudden movements.

"Why are you walking so slowly?" she counters. I pick up the pace and she jumps into the door, by my guess, trying to escape.

"That's why," I tell her. She crosses her arms and grabs her elbows, squaring her shoulders. "Why'd you go to work?" I ask her.

"Because I thought it was Saturday," she says quietly.

"And you told me you didn't work Saturday," I counter.

"Uh..." she trails off and looks at her feet, her eyes thoughtful as she tried to come up with an excuse.

"You lied, didn't you?" I ask before she stiffened.

"I'm sorry," she whispers hoarsely after a pause.

Astrid's P.O.V.

His eyes were glittering. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but every time someone's eyes glittered at me, they were glittering in anger, irritation, or aggravation. I wanted to run out the door before he took his wrath out on me, but if I did, he might do worse than what he's planning now. He nods towards the stairwell.

"Why don't you get ready, we're leaving at 6," he orders as he towered over me. He then stepped out of my way and I ran upstairs before rushing to my room and leaning against the door. 

I go to the bathroom and take my time in a warm shower. Although, no matter how many songs I sang to stall, it wasn't long enough because when I got out, it was only 4:30. I brush my hair and put it in a braid before putting on a pair of boot-cut jeans, a light blue top, and my boots. I look in the mirror and decide my braid's too loose before taking it out and fiddling with my bangs. I then take my waving-iron and wave my hair before brushing it again with a soft brush, making it look a little on the frizzy side. Then I put it in a pony tail and see what that'll look like. Damn, I know how to rock a hair-do. I should wear my hair like this more often, I like it. I hear a knock at my door and look at my clock to see that it's 5:30. I go to my door and open it to see Hiccup standing there, looking as if he's trying not to check me out.

"Hey," he says after clearing his throat, "How's it comin'?"

"Almost ready," I say and he nods.

"Lemme see your wrist," he orders. I hold my hand out and he grabs it before wrapping something around my wrist and walking to his room. I look at my wrist to see he had put the emerald bracelet on. I swallow, nodding to my self as I looked at my door, before going back into my room and closing the door.

Hiccup's P.O.V.

I walked to Astrid's door and am about to knock but pause when I hear her voice, sounding anxious. "No, no, of course I'd like you guys to visit," she was saying, "It's just, I don't think we'll be able to do it any time soon; I mean, he-- I-- we're busy a lot." A pause comes. "Don't ever say that again!" she snaps before another pause comes. "Of course he's real, why would I make up a fake boyfriend?" Yet another pause. "Well, sorry but not everyone is as care-free as you." I now guessed she was talking on the phone. "At least he's trying to be supportive," her voice mutters before I hear a thud. She lets out a muffled sigh as I wonder who she was talking to. I knock on her door.

"Astrid? You ready?" I call before a small crash sounds. "Are you okay in there?" I ask.

"Uh, yeah, just a second," she replies. I hear some more rattling and clinking before she scoffs in frustration, "Ugh, just forget it." She opens her door and I notice how nauseated she looks.

"Whoa, you okay? You're lookin' kinda pale," I say, feeling her forehead.

"I'm fine," she sighs, lowering my hand. Her eyes were clouded with thought and anxiety, but it wasn't directed at me. When I gave her the bracelet again, I could tell she was still uneasy about me. It was now, that I realized that she could only focus on one thing at a time. Like when she was doing the graffiti. She didn't think to make sure she wasn't being watched. And right now, she was thinking about that phone call. "What?" her voice breaks me from my thoughts and I shake my head to clear it as I realize I was staring.

"Y-you're..." I trail off as I try to find the right word.

"Not changing. Lets go," she finishes for me before walking for the stairs.

"I wouldn't ask you to," I chuckle as I follow her. I open the passenger side door for her and she nods in acknowledgement as she ducked her head to get in. I close her door before getting in the drivers seat and start driving down the road. Astrid was looking out the window as she massaged her head with two fingers. "You okay?" I ask after a few minutes of silence. At first she doesn't answer and I wonder if she heard me before she turns her head slightly and looks at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she says curtly after another moment. 

"You don't look fine," I tell her as I park in front of the restaurant we were at last time.

"Well, looks can be deceiving," she says. I lead her inside before we're seated on the patio. The moon was already out and full. I had requested vanilla scented candles to surround our table along with two or three lavender to settle Astrid's nerves. I just hope I can get her to take enough deep breaths of the fragrances to make her calm down and be able to enjoy the evening.

A/N: Sorry for the long wait