Chapter 52

Astrid's P.O.V.

I close my locker to see Fishlegs leaning against the locker next to me. "Can I help you?" I ask.

"Yeah, can I get some directions?" he asks.

"Where to?"

"Your heart," he bounced an eyebrow.

"Please do not tell that to Hiccup," I laugh.

"Ah, man," he sighs in defeat.

"I'm sorry, Fishlegs, that stuff just doesn't work on me. But if I were Heather, I'd be kissing you on the face by now," I tell him.

"Should I just not do it then?" he asks.

"No, complement her cooking, and if she rejects it, then you say the line," I tell him.

"You have dated one guy, of my knowledge. How do you know all this stuff?" he asks.

"I'm a girl, idiot," I grumble before Hiccup came up and put his arm on my shoulders.

"Fishface, please stop hitting on M'Lady," he said.

"'M'lady' was helping him practice," I tell him with a smirk.

"Oh. Is he worthy of the assignment?" he asked in a mock serious tone. Fishlegs smiled nervously at me as I stared him down with narrowed eyes.

"He will be if he can manage to get that stupid look off his face," I tell him.

"Thanks for the tip," Fishlegs said, rubbing his hands over his cheeks to loosen the tense muscles.

"Remember to let her talk. Girls love to chat about themselves..." Hiccup told him.

"Present company excluded," Fishlegs muttered from the corner of his mouth.

"Besides, don't you guys already know almost everything about each other?" I ask.

"Oh my Thor, we'll have nothing to talk about," he squeaked.

"Oh, look at the time! Astrid, we should get going," Hiccup said before ushering me down the hall and out the door to the car.

"So do we have plans tonight?" I ask as we get in and he starts driving.

"Don't you know what day it is?" he asks, making me pause. "It's two weeks since you got shot," he tells me when I don't answer.

"The pregnancy test," I breathe, my heart suddenly dropping.

"It's going to be fine, okay?" he says, taking my hand.

"It's going to be positive, I just know it!" I sigh.

"What makes you say that?" he asks.

"I've had a lot of cravings lately and I was scheduled for a week of blood two days after I was raped! I'm a defective key board," I tell him.

"It could just be a psychological thing. You could be so worried that you're pregnant that you artificially experience some of the symptoms. And as for the period, you might just have the timing wrong," he tells me.

"I just don't want to go through it again," I whisper under my breath. After a minute or two, he pulled into a department store. "This is going to be the second awkwardest purchase I have ever made," I mutter as we get out.

"What's the first?" he asked, his voice suddenly wary.

"A birthday present for Criss. She said her boyfriend loved it," I say as we walk inside. Hiccup grabbed a pregnancy test and I grabbed a jar of pickles before he lead me to the check out. The check out guy looked from the box, to me, and back again with sympathetic eyes. 

"Good luck," he says as he hands me the bag.

"She doesn't need luck," Hiccup says, wrapping his arm around my waist, "she has me."

"Good man," the guy said with a nod, "Taking care of your mistake." Hiccup suddenly grabbed his collar and pulled the employee's face close to his.

"It's never a mistake," he growls before roughly releasing him and quickly leading me out of the store before we were called on. I studied the directions on the package as I munched on a pickle. "Don't go gettin' juice all over my car," Hiccup ordered jokingly as he drove.

"Don't worry, my shirt's getting the worst of it," I tell him. "You know, when am I getting my stitches out?" I ask.

"Monday. Why?" he asks.

"Maybe we should just wait. I-I mean, we can get the stitches out and have the test in one day...," I say.

"Astrid, I know you're nervous but I don't want to wait any longer than we have to," he tells me apologetically.

"Can we at least stop somewhere and get some ice cream?" I ask.

"Is that a craving or procrastination?" he asks.

"Both," I say before adding under my breath, "I wonder what pickles and ice cream taste like..."

"I guess so," he sighs before driving into the drive through of the Scaly Cone. The name's misleading; they have great ice cream.

When they finally get home...

I stared at the stick in the sink, my heart no longer beating and my blood no longer flowing. I then lowered my gaze to my belly before walking out of the bathroom and looking at Hiccup as he sat on my bed. His gaze was expectant before he saw my own expression. He slowly stood up before rushing over and folding me in his arms as I started to cry. My heart started beating again as I thought about nine months from now. It started as a beat, then it picked up to a thumping, then a pounding.

"I don't want anyone to know about this," I cried.

"Astrid, they're going to find out eventually," he sighed.

"I'll drop out when I start showing," I say. "Oh, my gosh, I can't face my parents on the 30th!"

"Oh, no, no, no, don't try to think so far ahead, okay?" he said, rubbing my shoulder.

"I can't breathe," I gasp.

"Okay, I'll get you some water. Take deep breaths while I'm gone," he tells me, helping me sit on the bed.

"If I could take deep breaths it would mean I could breathe!" I snap. (A/N: Please tell me I'm not the only one who knows that reference!) 

I laid on my back and tears trickled down my face as I remembered the last time this happened. Call me heartless, but I didn't want this stupid baby! I'll have to give it up, I can't take that again! ...Unless it dies before it's born... I wasn't about to try and kill the fetus, but I was kind of hoping it would die naturally. At least that way I wouldn't have the pain of meeting it and having to send it away. Abortion seemed too cruel...but then again, so was hoping it didn't live.

"Hiccup, I can't do it again!" I cried as he came back in. I rolled over and buried my head under my pillow.

"Again..." he breathed, sitting next to me, "Oh, Astrid, come here." I sat up and threw myself at his chest as he wrapped his arms around me. "Harry's?" he asked gently and I nodded. "You wanna talk about it?" 

"I had to give her up..." I sobbed, "My little girl!"