14. What Makes You Beautiful

The next day, we were in Oakland, California for the next show. Harry was taking me out for a day in the public so I tried to dress as inconspicuously as possible. I wore a pair of black skinnies with a white tank top. My hair was braided to the side and I wore the sunglasses he had gotten me back when we were in Toronto. I pulled on my grey Toms and met Harry down in the lobby.

There was a crowd of screaming fans outside but the hotel security held them off and we were able to make it safely to the car waiting. Harry held onto my hand the entire way.

“The fans are probably going crazy,” I mused.

“Don’t worry about them unless they bother you,” he replied.

The car dropped us off at a local restaurant and Harry pulled me inside. It was a nice little Italian café. The waitress seated us and gave us our menus. After looking through the menu, we both ordered our dishes and the waitress left.

“So how are you dealing with the absence of Lucas?” Harry asked casually.

“It feels like there’s a hole in my heart,” I admitted. “Lucas never really talked much but he was part of my everyday life. He brought some security to the group and now without him, it feels like we could fall apart.”

“However, I am kinda mad at him,” I continued. “He said some pretty cruel things to Ian and I before he left.”

“What did he say?” Harry was curious.

“That I was a slut for being caught out in public with you that time at Wonderland…” I muttered.

“Oh,” Harry laughed. “I see what he means.”

“HEY!” I cried. “Does that mean you agree with him?”

A strange look passed his eyes but then it was gone.

“No,” he said simply. “I could I think of the girl I like in that way?”

I blushed.

“You’re cute when you’re blushing you know…”

I looked at him. There was a thoughtful look in his gaze.

“What?” I asked, cautiously. He looked like he was plotting something.

“Nothing,” he smiled. “I was just thinking about that first time I met you…”

“And?” I pressed.

“I thought you were one of those really bitchy and snobby girls judging by your appearance,” he admitted. “Boy, was I wrong. You don’t even realize how beautiful you are.”

“I am?” I wondered. “I never actually realized what guys see in my appearance…”

“You’re beautiful,” Harry said softly.

He had leaned across the table and so had I. I didn’t even realize how close we had gotten. He looked at my lips and leaned even closer. He pressed his lips against mine and they tasted sweet because of the tea he had been drinking. I noticed a flash go off to my right and I pulled away automatically.

About ten feet away, a group of teenage girls stood gawking at us. Obviously Harry had been recognized but was it necessary to take a picture of us while we were snogging.

Harry looked over to where the fans were with a slightly annoyed expression on his face. However, he quickly replaced it with a friendlier look as he waved at the girls. They broke out into squeals and giggles and suddenly had the confidence to approach our table.

“Hi Harry,” the lead blond girl said, breathlessly. She was pretty, tanned with blue eyes and golden blonde hair.

“Hullo,” Harry said in his sexy voice.