Chapter 18-The fake drugs

"Don't be too hasty now, you can't just barge back in her life after all these years. What if she doesn't even want you back?" Alex said pulling out a Pepsi from my mini fridge at the corner of my room.

She doesn't want me back? I mean I can't really complain about that. I know she hated him. Hell I'd hate myself too after what I did to her and my wife. Thinking of everything made me sit back and rethink the decision to see my only daughter. What if she rejects me like she rejected my letters? What if she calls the cop on me? What if she insults me? The more I thought about it, the more I got discouraged. I was too in thought to even ask how Alex got all this information. I was stuck on her having a baby of her own. I know it would be too good to be true but I wondered if she named her son after me.

"Here" Alex said

I looked up to see him handing me a paper. Without question I took it hoping it might be a recent picture of my beloved daughter. I analyzed it with great amusement. I recognized the girl in the picture no question. It was a mug shot of my daughter. She was smiling while sticking out her tongue at the camera. She looked pleased but a little different. A little younger. I was a bit confused, but my eyes fell on what she was arrested for.

Prostitution

I almost choked on the spit that almost came out my mouth. Wait. This can't be true. Not my Hazel. Nope, I refuse to believe this. I REFUSE! Prostitution? What? No no. My girl was too sweet to do something that stupid. I couldn't even imagine men groping on her...I just couldn't.

"Whose this?" I uttered out still glued to the picture not believing it was Hazel.

"You know...."

I set the picture down and sat back on my bed. I had to catch myself from losing it. "How'd you find it?"

Alex slowly took the picture back. He knew me better then anyone, I was a few seconds from exploding. I had so many questions that needed answered. I needed to see her. Like now.

"Don't worry...this was years ago, I think she was a teenager when she did prostitution. You were already in prison. But I did use this picture to help find her"

I clenched my fists "so you used her mugshot? Are you stupid?"

He shrugged "I mean it really doesn't look like a mugshot up close. I mean you were right..she didn't move. She's still here. After all those years, she still lives in this dreadful small town. I couldn't find out her address or anything,,but someone did tell me they think she works at that fancy restaurant I told you about"

I got myself comfortable as I listened to his story. I really wanted to jump up and hug him some more for finding out this information. I mean I could have...but I don't know. I was just nervous. I kept procrastinating. My biggest fear is her denying me. I don't think I could live life without her. Not again. I can't lose her like I lost my wife.

"The place is very popular, so it wasn't hard to find. But Hazel though was hard to find. Everyday I'd show up and I would never see her..

"Maybe she quit" I said reaching for her mugshot again. I needed to see it again. To process it in my head because I was still denying it. How can My sweet little princess be doing prostitution. She could have found other ways.

"I tried again for the last time. I was actually in the process of walking in the restaurant again...And I think I saw her...I think it's her...she resembled the mugshot" he said pulling out his video camera.

I dropped the picture of the mugshot and snatched that video camera.

I had to see. I just needed to see how she looks. Did her hair get longer? Is she fat? Skinny? Tall? Short? But more importantly...is she happy? I hope she is. Even if she rejects me, I'd be okay if she was happy.