Dustin Garcia's Diary #1 (Filler)

Dustin (First Person)

June 1st, 2010

Today I made a new friend. I was outside with my brother, Alejando, playing basketball in our driveway when a moving van came to the house next door. The house had been left abandoned ever since I lived in the neighborhood, so I was surprised that it had been bought.

"New neighbors?" Alejando asked, holding the ball in his hands.

I peeked at the U-Haul from my yard, looking for the new neighbors, "Hey Jando, do you think the new neighbors will be nice?"

Alejando shrugged, shooting another basket. "I don't know. Probably not. Adults are dicks. Especially white ones."

"Jando, that's racism."

"Racist," Alejando corrected, "And no it's not. I'm just stating what I've seen. You'll understand when you're older, Dustin."

I looked up to my big brother, "So I'll know when I turn twelve too?"

He nodded. "Yep."

"Woah."

I watched as a family came into view. There was a blond man who was really tall with a stern face and big eyebrows who scared me. I hid behind Jando, watching as his significant other and his four year old daughter entered the house. My eyes lingered on his son though.

I almost didn't even notice him, but I was glad that I did. He had a tan complexion, moppy brown hair, and blue-green eyes. Smiling widely, I waved to the boy who looked to be about my age. He just blushed, hiding his eyes behind his sweater sleeve. I smiled widely in return.

"Dustin, stop being a fucking creep," Jando hit me upside the head with the basketball. "The kid's gonna have nightmares now. Aprende a usar tu cabeza, idiota."

"¡Cállate, Jando! ¡Al menos no estoy fallando en la clase de inglés!"

"E-Excuse me."

I turned around to see the new neighbor boy. He was holding our basketball, his hands shaking while his face was cast downwards.

"Oh. Grac- I mean thank you," I laughed, switching back to English, "What's your name? How old are you? I'm Dustin Antonio Garcia and I turn nine in two weeks. Do you want to come to my birthday party?"

He looked around, seemingly overwhelmed. "I-I-I... I'm Eren J-, Eren Smith and I'm eight. I dunno if I should..."

"C'mon! Pleeeeeeeeeease?" I asked. "We could be friends!"

Eren's face shifted from tan to pink. "I..."

I grabbed his hand. "C'mon. Let's go to my room. We can watch Naruto."

Eren tried to stay in place, "I need to ask Hange."

I frowned. "Oh. Let's go do that then!"

I pulled Eren up to his house and rang the doorbell. Someone with glasses opened the door and I smiled.

"Eren, I see you made a new friend! That's great!"

"Uh... Hange, um... Dustin wants me to come over..." Eren scratched his head.

"Of course! Have fun and be back by eight!" Hange shut the door.

By the time we made it back to my house, it was already dinner time. My mom had cooked when she got back from her job while my dad was still at work doing something.

"¡Dustin, es hora de cenar! ¡Será mejor que no te hayas estropeado el apetito!"

"¡Mamá! Tengo compañía. No me avergüences," I replied, glad that Eren didn't seem to know Spanish. I'd have to teach him as my dad wasn't the best at English and never spoke it around the house.