Chapter 42

Two years later

Otabek's POV

Every day is the same. 

Wake up. 

Work at Nikiforov rink. 

Come home. 

Drink. 

Sleep. 

Repeat.

I drink every night and come to work depressed and hungover. Despite this, Victor and Yuuri keep me on but send me home on my worst days. 

I had a bad day yesterday when I saw another picture of Yuri with his girlfriend, a fellow skater under Yakov called Aleksandra. 

He won the grand prix final last year and again this year, maybe I was the reason he got bronze that one year

"Beka promise me you will never touch anyone else like this, only me" 

"Of course Yuri I love you, only you. I've waited so long to make you mine"

The memory is painful. I kept my promise to him, maybe I'll never get over him. 

I have tried but I can't connect to either gender and just end up making enemies wherever I go. Yuuri and I have grown closer though over the years and I have been able to cry in front of him. He knows how I feel.. well sort of, he can imagine how awful it would be to lose Victor and it makes him cry then I cry and then he makes me a pork cutlet bowl.

I head out for my shift, these days I drive a car, I can't bring myself to drive my motorcycle anymore. 

It reminds me Yuri. 

Everything does.

"Morning Otabek" says Yuuri cheerfully.

I give a small smile and stand in my usual place behind the counter facing the rink. I can see Victor teaching a class of children how to skate, Yuuri also teaches them to gain confidence by playing games and giving some tips. They do this for skaters of all ages and they couldn't be happier. 

Sometimes Yakov, Mila and Georgi stop by but never Yuri. 

Mila and Georgi retired last year after Mila had a skating injury and Georgi got tired of it, both now design costumes and make up for skaters. The first time I actually saw Yakov skate was Valentine's day with his wife Lilia, yep they got back together... I guess true love does last forever.

Just not in my case. 

My heart can't handle the pain anymore, I am living a life without purpose. When I have dark thoughts, I call Yuuri. One day he asked if I had a passion besides skating and I thought about it and have started working as a D.J for one night a week in a club, tonight, Friday night. 

But not even that's enough to fill the hole left by Yuri. 

I never realized just how lonely and empty my life was without him in it, I have been thinking about him since I was 13 and he was 10 just longing to make friends until he showed me what love is. 

It all clicked when I saw him dancing agape at skate Canada four years ago.